Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan/title question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA loan/title question

Hello All,

This will be the first time I ever apply for a mortgage loan.  I live in Texas.  I am Married, but I will not be adding my husband to the loan (because of credit score).  Still, because he is my husband and it is a commuity property state, he will be added to the title deed.

I submitted all of my finanical information.  I had to submit my husband's child support bill to add to my debt. 

The  loan officer ran everything of mine through the automated underwriting and told me I was approved with no problems. 

My husband owes back child support (that he makes payments on.  I could go days talking about this, but for the sake of this question i'll say he had a child at 17 (he's now 35) and the back child support accumilated a long time ago.  But anyway, regardless, he does owe back child support.  I did provide the current child support bill showing his monthly payment and back child support payment.

My questions are:

1.  Will the back child support cause a problem with the manual underwriters if the automated underwriting passed?

2.  Will the back child support cause an issue with adding him to the title? 

Please be easy on me.  This is my first time to do any of this.  I did talk to my loan officer and he said he doesn't believe this is going to be an issue at all.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA loan/title question

Also, I am reading a lot of horror stories about manual underwriting and it is making me very anxious about the approval.  Is the process of getting an approval hell like a lot of people say?  I can't even sleep at night thinking of this because my lease is up and I had to give the landlord our notice.  If the application gets denied, it won't be the end of the world (we can stay with family until I find something else to rent) but it would really be crappy.

Does the automated underwriting mean it is a good sign of approval?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm not too familiar with this, but is there a judgment filed for the back child support owed? Or did he just make an agreement with the court on how to pay the arrears?

Message 3 of 7
PRC
New Contributor

I'm surprised they included his child support on your DTI.  I also live in TX and my DH is not going to be on the loan and they did not include his child support in my DTI. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

This will be the first time I ever apply for a mortgage loan.  I live in Texas.  I am Married, but I will not be adding my husband to the loan (because of credit score).  Still, because he is my husband and it is a commuity property state, he will be added to the title deed.

I submitted all of my finanical information.  I had to submit my husband's child support bill to add to my debt. 

The  loan officer ran everything of mine through the automated underwriting and told me I was approved with no problems. 

My husband owes back child support (that he makes payments on.  I could go days talking about this, but for the sake of this question i'll say he had a child at 17 (he's now 35) and the back child support accumilated a long time ago.  But anyway, regardless, he does owe back child support.  I did provide the current child support bill showing his monthly payment and back child support payment.

My questions are:

1.  Will the back child support cause a problem with the manual underwriters if the automated underwriting passed?

2.  Will the back child support cause an issue with adding him to the title? 

Please be easy on me.  This is my first time to do any of this.  I did talk to my loan officer and he said he doesn't believe this is going to be an issue at all.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, he has a court agreement to pay the child support arears.  The current child support bill shows a Plan 1 for his regular payment and a plan 2 for his back child support and a plan 3 for the medical insurance portion. 

I do not believe there is a judgment.  If there was, we would know, right?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am surprised that they did not add your husband's child support to your DTI.  From everything that I was told (by everyone under the sun) is that Texas is a community property state and if you are married whatever debt my husband has, I have.  So his child support would have to be counted toward my monthly expenses.  For me, this is not a problem.  I make plenty of money to cover all of our bills.  I'm just worried that the BACK child support is going to cause an issue.  I hope it is not since we are paying it.

Message 6 of 7
PRC
New Contributor

Re: FAA loan/title question

@Anonymous wrote:

I am surprised that they did not add your husband's child support to your DTI.  From everything that I was told (by everyone under the sun) is that Texas is a community property state and if you are married whatever debt my husband has, I have.  So his child support would have to be counted toward my monthly expenses.  For me, this is not a problem.  I make plenty of money to cover all of our bills.  I'm just worried that the BACK child support is going to cause an issue.  I hope it is not since we are paying it.

No it was not added nor was his car note.  Basically any debts he had prior to marriage was not added to my DTI.  She did verify that CS is not the responsibility of the new spouse but of the parent only and I cannot be held legally responsible for it. I also read online that typically they will only count CS in your DTI is if you have a joint bank act and the money is paid out of your bank account.  I would assume that since he pays out of his check directly that is why it is not included my DTI.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.