Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loan without husband on loan?

tag
tealewis
Valued Member

FHA loan without husband on loan?

My husband is a stay at home dad. Our plan is to qualify for a loan in my name alone but I heard recently that they will still use my husband's credit. His has a bunch of old collections on it. Not sure of his actual score. Is this true? We have only tried to improve my score. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA loan without husband on loan?

I thnk it depends on the state.  I know in NC the spouse does not have to be on the loan.  But I've heard that in some states where both spouses are responsible for the others debt by state law they will use both parties credit since you are responsible for his debt.

Message 2 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

They would only use his credit if you wanted to use his income.  If your income and scores and everything else qualifies, his issues won't matter.

If you want to put him on the house title then you file a "quit claim" deed at the county office after you close.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 3 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

In community  property states.... spouse's credit is pulled so we can add their debts to your loan application.

Their credit(or scores) does not affect the qualifying

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends what state you live in and what program you go through. In a community property state they would look at his credit. Also some programs such as NACA require both spouses on the mortgage as well.   I live in Georgia which is not a CP state and I've qualified for a FHA mortgage on my own without my husband.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I live in Maryland and I qualified for a FHA loan without my husband.

We were able to add his name to the title though.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.