Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loans - what are your stats?

tag
AshCas
Regular Contributor

FHA loans - what are your stats?

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on this board for awhile and have gotten some awesome information.m Hubby and I are going to apply for an FHA mortgage in the next month or so. My husband has excellent credit, 780 and 810 FICO scores. I had made some dumb mistakes when I was younger, so. After doing some credit repair over the last few months, my two FICO scores are 710 and 726. For those of you who have gotten and FHA mortgage in the past few months, what were your FICO scores, how much did you qualify for ( what is your income ,if you dont mind answering), and what was your interest rate? Just curious what we can expect. Thanks so much!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA loans - what are your stats?

It would probably be easier to check the FHA site. It has clearly written pre-requisites for qualifying for FHA loans; in all categories.

Message 2 of 8
AshCas
Regular Contributor

I've read the FHA site, and I'm not concerned about qualifying - I'm just interested in what other people's experiences were.
Message 3 of 8
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Obviously your credit score qualified, and for FHA credit scores don't affect rates so no issues there.

Locally, FHA rate for 30 yr fixed was 3.75 yesterday with 0 points.

How much you can afford simply depends on your DTI ratios. Your location additionally matters as property taxes and insurance are included in the ratio.

You can see all the guidelines for acceptable DTI ratios on the website and use a calculator to figure out your maximum.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 8
boomhower
Valued Contributor

My experience was very smooth.  My scores were in the low 700's and had no issues.  I have no clue what amount I was approved for as I had already picked out my house before applying and it was well well under what I probably could have gotten.  I bought very conservatively.  The amount you will qualify for will depend not only on your income but what other debts you have.  DTI ratios are extremely important in mortgages.

Message 5 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

Obviously your credit score qualified, and for FHA credit scores don't affect rates so no issues there.

Locally, FHA rate for 30 yr fixed was 3.75 yesterday with 0 points.

How much you can afford simply depends on your DTI ratios. Your location additionally matters as property taxes and insurance are included in the ratio.

You can see all the guidelines for acceptable DTI ratios on the website and use a calculator to figure out your maximum.

I see this all the time, but when we were applying, we were told we were getting a better rate for having 700+ scores.  Maybe that was just bluster to make us feel good, or maybe this is something that varies by lender, just as there are minimum FHA requirements but there can be lender overlays?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 8
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Maybe certain lenders prefer lending to individuals with 700+ credit scores so they drop the rate a little as an incentive, but FHA loans should not be affected by your credit score. You qualify or you dont. Not sure.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I qualified for $229K by myself with 19%/33% DTI

3.25% at 15 years. Now if only the banks would release a house for me to buy.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.