Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA loans with lates????

tag
let
Regular Contributor

FHA loans with lates????

can this be done? I was on the phone with LO today, and just out of conversation, she mentioned that it would be great if we could use my DH's income, I told that it would be great, but we would have to wait until April...that is when his last late payment (car note ) would be a year old.

She said let me check into something.  Well she called me back and said she got an automated approval??? I'm too scared to get my hopes up... Anyone heard of this???

Message Edited by let on 10-06-2009 06:44 PM
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: FHA loans with lates????

An automated approval approves your situation as-is, without needing to make any changes.  After you provide the documentation the loan officer needs to have an underwriter review, it'll be reviewed by that underwriter to verify the information inputted into the automated underwriting system is indeed the information that you have provided - if not the information is changed to what you've provided and automated underwriting is re-run to see if the outcome is the same (approved).  The underwriter also adds a layer of common sense to the loan, an automated underwriting approval will approve some situations that an underwriter will not, such as an unreported foreclosure on credit, someone buying a $50,000 home as their primary residence when they own a home worth $200,000 next door, etc.  If the lender has their own overlay guidelines to FHA, such as cannot have more than 1x60 or 2x30 lates in the past month, and you do, then the underwriter will decline the loan.  If the lender doesn't have their own overlay guidelines, the underwriter could still make a judgment call, but it's a good chance the late payments will be OK.  You probably have some sort of compensating factors, either some savings/assets available after closing, a low debt to income ratio, or maybe even a larger than required down payment or amount of equity.
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 3
let
Regular Contributor

Re: FHA loans with lates????

Thank you so much Shane! I was hoping you would respond! I guess we'll just have to wait and see. By the way the last late my  DH had was April 09.  Hopefully he'll get approved.
Message Edited by let on 10-06-2009 06:48 PM
Message Edited by let on 10-06-2009 07:20 PM
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.