Established Member
unixman

FHA-mandated Repairs - Timeline?

[ Edited ]

I'm in the process of purching a home built in the 1920s. It is very well maintained, but there are maybe 7-8 areas of paint chipping on the exterior. The house has been repainted within the last five years.

If the FHA appraisal/inspection requires the chipping areas to be scraped/repainted, how/when does this happen? How does it fit into the application -> closing timeline in relation to underwriting and everything else that has to be done?

My concern is -- what if the house is appraised and you fix repairs, but then find out you've been denied in underwriting? You've just fixed up another person's house. That can't be right... So how and when does the appraisal and necessary repairs come in to play?

Starting Score: 756
Current Score: 756
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
Adalen

Re: FHA-mandated Repairs - Timeline?

The seller should be making those repairs.

2011: EQ 580~
2012: EQ 620~
2013: EQ 641, TU98 645, TU04 635, TU08 635, EX 648 (lender)
Closed on first home 4/25/13.
Established Member
unixman

Our contract has 50/50 split for FHA repairs up to a maximum of $500 -- at which point we can renegotiate or walk.

Starting Score: 756
Current Score: 756
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

your realtor ahould be advising on this.

you dont want to repair someone else's home.

timeline? it is agreed upon and can be any amount of time i guess.

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}