AmandaSD

FHA min fico score

I contacted my lender bc we are in the process of trying to get preapproved for a house.  I asked him about the info I am seeing about the 620 min fico score for FHA loans and he said he has lenders that will loan as low as 580 ficos.  So do not be discouraged if you do not have that score of 620 yet!  We are working hard to raise our score but are still trying to get approved right now, sitting at 600 and 609...and its looking promising. *fingers crossed* But I just wanted to let you all know that was what we were told by our lender.  Good luck!
Senior Contributor
mickie08

Re: FHA min fico score

There are still people doing under 580, but the problem is that they are getting pushed by FHA to change that.  So, anyone not already in process on a deal/close to closing a deal stands a good chance of a denial down the road even if they are approved right now.  Several people here on the boards have lost deals or been sent scrambling for financing when the lender they used changed their guidelines.  The Brokers often times do not have prior warning when the investors/buyers are going to change their mind.

Either way good luck with the hosue hunting and credit repair. 

Established Contributor
ladyofnight

I was under the impression FHA couldn't require credit scoring, so how is it they're the ones pushing for the increase?
Valued Member
nervous

My husband and I just got (last Friday), final loan approval for our mortgage.  We got an FHA loan at 5.375% for 30 years fixed with 3.5% down.  My credit was good.  My husband's middle score was 592.
ChristybClark

What company did you go through? 
Valued Member
nervous

National City Mortgage
Regular Contributor
teton

nervous wrote:
National City Mortgage

Did you pay any points?

Senior Contributor
mickie08

FHA can not require a minimum credit score.  they can recommend to buyers/investors/banks what they feel is reasonable risk on loans.  This is what they have done.  Given the turmoil in the markets, everyone is going along with it.  Although not impossible to get a sub 620 FHA loan right now, I personally would not hold my breath until I was closed due to the changing market conditions.  It is worth a try, but it there is a good chance that between now and when a loan closes, the tighter restrictions could be put in place by whichever broker/bank you are using.
Valued Member
nervous

yes, i paid 1.5 points.
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

ladyofnight wrote:
I was under the impression FHA couldn't require credit scoring, so how is it they're the ones pushing for the increase?

they dont

lenders can add to the requirements though

these sub-620 deals are expensive and had to get thru underwriting.
be patient.

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}