cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA mortgage insurance changes (4/1/13 & 6/3/13)

tag
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

FHA mortgage insurance changes (4/1/13 & 6/3/13)

Over the past few days I've read a lot of different threads that have partial correct & incorrect information on the upcoming FHA mortgage insurance changes.  I wanted to start a thread to clarify with complete correct information what is going to happen in the next few months.

First, for those who want to read the official rules from HUD (who oversees/administers FHA loans) you can find it at http://portal.hud.gov/huddoc/13-04ml.pdf

These guidelines are effective for new FHA case #'s pulled on & after the below dates.  To get an FHA case # you need to have completed a full application, and in the event you are purchasing a home, you also need to have an accepted contract (short sale contacts, where you are still waiting for the sellers lender to respond, are also fine).  This does not impact conventional loans, VA loans, or USDA loans... only FHA loans.

What is changing on 4/1/13:

The annual mortgage insurance premium (abbreviated as annual MIP) is increasing by .1% of the loan amount per year.  That means on a $100k loan amount it increases by $100/year, or $8.33/mo.

Below is a chart of the new MIP rates depending on the loan amount & the loan-to-value your loan starts off at.  130bps = 1.3% per year.

newAnnualMIP.gif

What is changing on 6/3/13:

The amount of time that the annual MIP is required to be paid is increasing.  It'll either be 11 years or for the life of the loan, depending on the loan term & amount of down payment (or amount of equity if a refinance).  See the chart below.

newMIPperiods.gif

Another change is that currently if you take a 15-year fixed (or shorter) and are putting down 22% (or have 22% equity on a refinance) then there is no annual MIP... but on 6/3/13 there will be in the amount of .45% per year (on a $100k mortgage that would be $450/year, or $37.50/mo), see below.

newMIPfor15years.gif

The upfront mortgage insurance premium (UFMIP) is still remaining at 1.75% of the base loan amount, and can still choose to be financed into the loan amount or paid out of pocket.  For example a $100k base loan amount would have a $1,750 UFMIP, and if financed, would have a total loan amount of $101,750.  The annual MIP is calculated on the base loan amount, not total loan amount.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA mortgage insurance changes (4/1/13 & 6/3/13)

So is the UFMIP the amount required for escrow the first year, and then you pay MIP per month as specified to escrow for the next year? I guess I am a little confused by the differences between them and when they apply.

Thanks for the information. It was very informative. The first table has me confused as well because the first 2 lines are identical except for the new MIP.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 28
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

The UFMIP is a 1 time charge when you initially get the loan, it's never charged again.

The annual MIP is charged every month until it falls off (per the tables above).

The first two lines of the first table are for LTV's ≤ 95% (line 1), and LTV's > 95% (line 2).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 3 of 28
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Ah! Got it! Thanks so much! :-)
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 28
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welx.

Message 5 of 28
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

with these low rates.... we should be writing more 15yr loans...... but so many people are just buying bigger house.

gonna miss the old 'no mi on 15yr' deals.......

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 28
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

gonna miss the old 'no mi on 15yr' deals.......

Me too, was real helpful for people who had foreclosures within 7 years and great equity positions... Fannie/Freddie was out, but FHA had lower rates + no annual MIP.

Message 7 of 28
crablegs
Established Member

If I apply before 4-1, would I be subject to these changes?

Message 8 of 28
foofighter74
Established Contributor

You need an FHA Case # prior to April 1st to be subject to all FHA guidelines as they stand today.  After 4/1, as it says, the rate goes up, and in early June, you'll need to pay the mortgage insurance for the life of your loan.

From what I've heard, you get an FHA case # when you apply for a loan and you're under contract on a specific property.

Message 9 of 28
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Yup you need to Apply this week or your toast

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.