Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA or CONVENTIONAL? Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FHA or CONVENTIONAL? Approval

I sold my home of 24 years (never late on the mortgage) in August 2016 and have been in a rental since.  Never worried about credit, due to the fact, if we didn't have the cash we didn't  purchase anything except for a car many years ago ( I was  late about 6 times on a four yr loan).  My scores dropped a good bit due to paying off our mortgage and moving to a new rental address,  Although they were not great to begin with. My mid mortgage fico score is 661 and I will be putting 35-40% down. Will I get approved and should I go conventional or FHA for the best rate?  Also I make approx. 125,000.00 a yr.  My only debt is 61.00 dollars on a credit card. Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

Re: FHA or CONVENTIONAL? Approval

Definitely you will be fine for FHA
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: FHA or CONVENTIONAL? Approval

Conventional won't have mortgage insurance like an FHA loan would, but it will carry a higher rate than FHA.  You should compare both options.  With the large down payment and if your debt to income ratio is low enough, there'd be a good chance you could get approved for either (even with a series of late payments).  If the large down payment eats up your reserves, then your loan officer could try with a little lower down payment and thus it'd increase your reserves (sometimes it can be a balancing act on what will get approved or not).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.