Regular Contributor
BADave

FHA or USDA

I have been preapproved for an FHA loan.  We are in the process of looking for a house.  I have noticed a lot of talk about a USDA load and went to the web site to confirm my income requirements and it showed us as eligible.  

The only difference in the two is USDA is 100% financing correct other than that there the same?  Is it better to get approved for both and then compare once I am ready to set down and have our house that we want?   At this time I do not have the 3.5% down for FHA but I am working on it.  

josh1581

Re: FHA or USDA

The property you're looking at has to be in a USDA rural area.

You can put the address in on their site and it will tell you if it's in an eligible area.

http://eligibility.sc.egov.usda.gov/eligibility/welcomeAction.do

Regular Contributor
BADave

I checked and we have three different property's we like and they quailfy. 

I called our broker and she said USDA was much more to it that a FHA loan.  I just want to be sure I have all of my options availble when we find the house we want.  Just want to get the best deal we can. 

Frequent Contributor
Bzzzymom

Our broker said USDA is a great deal if you can do that. We can't seem to find many houses that would work for us though. I read you can finance 102% of the purchase price with USDA. Is that right? And the no PMI is awesome.

I think it's actually a lot more work for your lender. But it's such a great deal!

Frequent Contributor
teacherhere

Nothing down

No monthly PMI

There is a 2% funding fee.

You can finance up to 102% of the apprasial which means that if there is a difference between the sales cost and appraisal you can finance closing

I understand that credit requriements are a bit tighter than FHA but not as tight as conventional.

The property has to be in a qualified area.

Your income has to qualify.

Frequent Contributor
deemac

You can finance 102% because they allow/expect you to finance the 2% funding fee.

USDA can be more flexible than FHA, actually. We're two years from a BK7 discharge, but our house (which we included in the BK) wasn't sold through foreclosure until 15 months ago (even though the BK & foreclosure actually started 3½ years ago.) We've re-established credit, with no derogs since the BK. FHA insists on 3 years from the foreclosure sale date and I can't find anyone to make an exception even though we've been renting for over 3 years and it was the bank that delayed the sale, not us. USDA will let us buy now.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+