Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA question

tag
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

FHA question

With an FHA mortgage....does CO or Collections matter in the approval? I have heard it goes both ways. What are the new FHA guidelines for 2015??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA question

@damnedanddetermined wrote:

With an FHA mortgage....does CO or Collections matter in the approval? I have heard it goes both ways. What are the new FHA guidelines for 2015??

FHA does not require collections to be paid. If total sum of all collection accounts are $2000 or more, 5% must be counted towards DTI (if there is no repayment plan).

Message 2 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

dpeezy, does it mater if collections are 5-6 years old?  and do both spouses have to be on an FHA loan? My wife doesnt work and I have only worked on my credit (which was a job in itself) to get qualification. Thanks for all the info Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

dpeezy, does it mater if collections are 5-6 years old?  and do both spouses have to be on an FHA loan? My wife doesnt work and I have only worked on my credit (which was a job in itself) to get qualification. Thanks for all the info Smiley Happy

Nope, age of collection doesn't matter... except for the further in the past, the less it will negatively impact your score.

You both need to be on the loan, but both spouse's debt must be factored into the DTI ratio if you live in a community property state.

Message 4 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

ok, so both need to be on the loan....we are not in a community property state, so I dont need to worry about my  wifes collections, etc?? What about her score? I hope Im helping others by my insane questions :/  Thanks Peezy!!

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my experience from reading these forums and just obtainaing an FHA loan, medical collections are ok and anything else is up to the underwritier.  I think if you get the pre-approval with what you have there is a possibility that underwriting may make you pay something off before closing but then again he may not say anything about it.  Depends on what it is, how much it is and whether or not there is possibility of a lien being placed on the property.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

ok, so both need to be on the loan....we are not in a community property state, so I dont need to worry about my  wifes collections, etc?? What about her score? I hope Im helping others by my insane questions :/  Thanks Peezy!!

No, she does not have to be on the loan. You can have one on the loan, but in a community property state the other spouse's debts still need to be factored in the DTI ratio.

I wouldn't say you don't need to worry about them, but they are not a guaranteed dealbreaker off the bat. It depends on what your LO thinks, AUS approval, and underwriter discretion. Your LO will be able to give you the best advice on your particular scenario.

Message 7 of 10
damnedanddetermined
Established Contributor

Peezy...Im confused :/   Wifey does NOT have to be on loan, we are NOT a community property state, but HER credit will be looked at?!!?  Why would her credit matter if not on the loan? I dont understand that part...

Message 8 of 10
Lemmus
Established Contributor

...just to add a bit to what's been said ...the FHA requirements are the minimum standards ...but the lender could well have their own overlays (higher standards) that may require you pay some or all of the CAs ...it varies widely and is a good reason to shop your loan to other lenders if your current lender requires you pay them and you can't/won't

...and note that paying them won't improve your scores ...Fico doesn't differentiate between paid/unpaid CAs ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Peezy...Im confused :/   Wifey does NOT have to be on loan, we are NOT a community property state, but HER credit will be looked at?!!?  Why would her credit matter if not on the loan? I dont understand that part...

In a non-community property state, her credit/debt will not be looked at if she's not on the loan.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.