cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA says Hubby's debt is mine when I'm only applying?

tag
Ljeen
Valued Member

FHA says Hubby's debt is mine when I'm only applying?

I just found out from another forum on this site that if I am the only one applying for an FHA mortgage, (because my husband has too many collections that he cannot pay) that I am responsible as well?  He has his own paycheck and pays his own bills.

Is this true?  This is the first I'm hearing about this and I've studied FHA for a year and was told that I could be the only applying if I can't count my husband.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: FHA says Hubby's debt is mine when I'm only applying?

FHA Guidelines say that his debt will be included if you are also responsible for them. In community property states, you are. So they are included. The only exception that I know about is Texas. Texas is a community Property state..... but you aren't responsible for spousal debt. Courts have precedents that address the issue.

How low are his scores?

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 5
Ljeen
Valued Member

Hi, it's funny you mentioned Texas. I want to buy in the Dallas area.  My name is not on any of his stuff.  I currenly live in New York but we want to eventually relocate to the Dallas area. I would like to have an address there before job hunting. I think it's easier to get a job that way. 

His scores now are in the low 500's.  Mine have risen 79 points since Sept. and I'm not looking till they are well over 640 or so or up to 700.  My salary in NY is 52,000 but I can try to get that in Texas. 

We'll see.  Thanks for replying.
Message 3 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

You will need a job here to get a loan approval.

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 5
Ljeen
Valued Member

Thanks!  That won't be a problem when the time comes. My company actually has an office  there so maybe I can get a transfer if not, I can work in any corporation.

Hey I just went up another 25 points today.  I love Score Watch! 
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.