cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FHA to reduce mortgage insurance premiums by 25 bps!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FHA to reduce mortgage insurance premiums by 25 bps!

My question, will this affect the upfront MIP? You know, the ridiculous 1.75% that you have to pay upfront.
Message 11 of 24
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My question, will this affect the upfront MIP? You know, the ridiculous 1.75% that you have to pay upfront.

Nope, hopefully someday though.  It's been at 1.750% for nearly 5 years now (4/9/12).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told today that we could extend our lock for a week (cost is 1/8th of a point) for $650.  This is a no brainer since I will recoup those costs in 7months with the lower MIP.  If we keep our FHA loan for at least the 11yrs (MIP drops after 11yrs if your downpayment is >20%) this reduction will save us approx $15k!!  Very happy about that!!

Message 13 of 24
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

I was told today that we could extend our lock for a week (cost is 1/8th of a point) for $650.  This is a no brainer since I will recoup those costs in 7months with the lower MIP.  If we keep our FHA loan for at least the 11yrs (MIP drops after 11yrs if your downpayment is >20%) this reduction will save us approx $15k!!  Very happy about that!!

Yea!  Great decision.  One small correction - annual MIP drops off after 11 years if your downpayment is >10%.  

What a fantastic savings by waiting one week!  I would do that trade every day ($650 for $15,000) Smiley Happy Congrats! Great timing for you.

Message 14 of 24
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Just a heads up on the mortgage insurance premium cut.  While it's not official, there have been a couple articles that came out today that say, per a mortgage industry lobbyist, our new president will issue an executive order freezing a number of actions by the current administration, including the FHA premium reduction.  The lobbyist said that the freeze could be announced anytime from this Friday through next Tuesday.  My guess is that if it is put on hold, that hopefully the new head of HUD (Carson) will just want to review FHA's insurance fund to make sure it'd be OK to implement... as there is a law that says FHA's insurance reserves have to maintain a certain level.  Please, no political comments regarding this (I already see enough of those on my Facebook feed).

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Message 15 of 24
Client9
Regular Contributor

What will be interesting to see is how the private MI companies responde rate wise to this change.  Essent, Genworth, MGIC, etc are going to have to come out with some lower MI.

Message 16 of 24
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

@Client9 wrote:

What will be interesting to see is how the private MI companies responde rate wise to this change.  Essent, Genworth, MGIC, etc are going to have to come out with some lower MI.

PMI companies revise their rates a lot more often than FHA does, usually several times a year.  However, the changes are usually just small amounts so it's not as noticeable as a 25 basis point reduction.

Message 17 of 24
lkiar

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So..... any chance they will reinstate the reduction before Feb 28th (our closing date)? Because I was looking forward to that $60/mth savings Smiley Frustrated

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.