Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.::FHA vs Conventional::.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

.::FHA vs Conventional::.

Ok. So I already know that FHA requires minimum 620 score (some 580, but what does conventional generally require as a minimum?

Also, even if you've got the scores for conventional, what's the incentive if you still don't have the 20% dp? I could be wrong, but seems like, if you don't have the 20% dp, FHA is the easiest route.

TGIF everyone! Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: .::FHA vs Conventional::.

FHA has a standard interest rate, conventional is based on your credit score. FHA requires mortgage insurance to be paid regardless of downpayment (i believe for 5 yrs). If you put 20% down on a conventional you don't have to pay mortgage insurance.

There are also mortgage limits with FHA (varies by area) so if you want to buy a more expensive home than FHA will approve, you'd have to go conventional.

Before the mortgage crisis there was more room to "play" with a conventional loan... such as the no money down types. They still exist but just barely Smiley Wink For a lot of people FHA makes the most sense right now.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.