Yoda14

FTH buyer - what can we expect?

[ Edited ]

My scores: TransUnion: 780/Equifax: 776/Experian: 776

Fiancé: TransUnion: 786/Equifax: 790/Experian: 790

The downlow:  we’re perspective FTH buyers.  We’ve been @ the same job for 6 & 7 years respectively, have no credit card debt & a single car payment of $236 with 19 installments left…we have no other debts.  Our combined annual gross income is approx:  $100k.  Homes in our area (eastern Massachusetts) cost approx. $330-$360k.

We’ve saved enough for a 10% down payment ($36k) + closing which will leave us with approx. $12k in liquid savings as a cushion.  We also have approx $60k combined in our respective 401Ks.

My concerns for qualifying for a mortgage are this: 

1 - we want to both be on the mortgage but we’re not married (does that matter in the eyes of the lender)?

2 – the fiancé is pregnant & will be on maternity leave for 3 months & receiving just 60% of pay during that time.  The $12k we have in savings will cover our expenses during that time.   However, we’re looking at buying a home before the ‘lil one arrives (this fall).  Will the fact that we’re pregnant be factored into the lenders formula for approval? 

3 - Finally – with less than 20% down, how much can we expect to be approved for & what kind of rates can we expect to find?  Should we look for a piggyback loan (are lenders still doing those?) or single loan & pay PMI?  Also, how much higher will be rates be for a 90% loan vs. a 80% loan (I guess I'm wondering how much we'll be penalized for putting down less than 20%)

We’ve never been through this process before & any help or suggestions offered would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Message Edited by Yoda14 on 05-12-2008 10:24 AM

Message Edited by Yoda14 on 05-12-2008 11:56 AM
Super Contributor
DallasLoanGuy

Re: FTH buyer - what can we expect?

1. You don't have to be married to buy a house together.
I have done them for brother/sister, mom/daughter, lifepartners, ect.

2. Pregnancy is not an issue. And no need to bring it up, I don't think.

3. Get options from your lender and bring them here so we can go over together.

* While I try to visit the forum often, please feel free to contact me directly with a link to your post if I fail to answer a follow up question.

* Lending across the entire 'Great State of Texas' since 2004

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+