Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

False repossession on credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

False repossession on credit report

There is a repossession status on my credit report that shouldn't be there. I had gone through a messy divorce a few years ago where I fell many payments behind on my mortgage payment. I ended up selling the property myself before it got reposessed by the bank.

Now, here comes the problem. It states on my credit report that property was repossessed. I tried to dispute it to the credit bureau and brought them the sales document from the notary to show that I sold the house. After inquiring with the bank they say it has to stay on as is due to the amount of payments I missed. They did offer me to add an explation to my credit report. I need to write a statement up to a 100 words which would be added to my credit file enabling creditors to access my explanation. Can someone here advise me what I can write that would tell them that I did not go through a repossesion? 

I need to word it properly, up to 100 words. Please help.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: False repossession on credit report

Hopefully someone else will step in and guide you.

What is the legal definition of "repossessed" in bank terms?   If the bank did not meet those terms, then they would be fraudently reporting.

I hear the banks logic - if you are 90 days late, technically in the banks mind, you are in foreclosure.   They usually report foreclosure after the 90 days.  Although some banks, will not use the word foreclosure on your credit report until they are later in the process of foreclosure OR have actually foreclosed.  Each  bank is different.

Did the bank start foreclosure proceedings prior to you getting a ratified sales contract?  Banks usually (again, not always) start "foreclosure" proceedures (that first letter saying you are x amount of days late, pay up or else) when you reach the 90 consequent days "late".

Message 2 of 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I've never heard of a home being repossessed.  Forclosed maybe.   Have you tried to contact them?  I'd try a GW with them first before you go off and dispute to the CRAs.  Maybe they can clear it up easier.  Read up on the link below.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Just a little October humor - maybe the bank means your house was repossessioned by a friendly ghost, like Casper?   And since they have to legal disclose if the house is haunted (depending on your state)....this is there way of saying that they did disclose it?  Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.