Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family help on down payment?

tag
dead9uy
Valued Member

Family help on down payment?

Sorry if this topic isn't purely credit related but thought I would throw it out there as a lot of people are well-informed here. 

Our situation, GF and I have been house hunting and had an offer accepted on a place. We really like it and the loan process is underway. 

My GF's dad has offered to help with the down payment as an investment. This is FHA, so 3.5%, and in exchange he is asking for 25% of equity upon sale, minus any paid principle. We would also have to pay back that 3.5% as well at that time. 

To me it seems like a lot to give up for so little help. In the area we're buying I see a lot of potential for appreciation in this house and we will likely be there for at least 10 years. 

Thoughts?

We are in a position to pay for it ourselves but it would require liquidating an IRA account to do so. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Sunshine85
Frequent Contributor

Re: Family help on down payment?

That offer is unreasonable- there's more I want to say, but I'll leave it at that.

Use the IRA and tell your girlfriend's father, "thanks, but no thanks."

Message 2 of 5
aussiesareforever
Established Contributor

I agree. That is A LOT to ask for from anybody. I would walk away from that offer and try to find your downpayment elsewhere

BK in January 2008---Barclay's Apple Financing Card ($10,000) --- Capital One Quicksilver ($13,000)--- Platinum Delta Skymiles ($35,000) --- GEMB CareCredit ($10,000) --- AUFCU ($10000)---Discover IT ($33,000)

Experian 835 Transunion 828-- August 2018
Message 3 of 5
drkaje
Senior Contributor

So if you and DGF break up, her dad owns 25% equity in the house?!

Reads like a terrible deal and idea.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally, most lenders (probably all) will require the provider of the gift funds to sign a note saying, basically, that they have no interest in the house or expect any payment or considerations... If they don't, then at best it's a personal loan (which has all sorts of effects on the loan) and at worst will put another lien on the house... Nothing good can come of it.

Side note, I would never buy a house with a GF - renting is a different story - but that's probably a topic for the "Relationships" forum.

I think he's testing you to see if you're smart enough for his daughter Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.