Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Family loan/down payment

tag
Lasardo
Established Contributor

Family loan/down payment

My family will be loaning me the money I need for the down payment on a house/closing costs..does this need to be seasoned?
CS 728- 01/13 from 554-12/11
Goal: 800
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Adalen
Frequent Contributor

Re: Family loan/down payment

They will need to source it.  How far back they go is up to the lender.  Just as a heads up, it is not considered a loan.  Refer to it as a gift.. because it has to be given with the understanding that you're not expected to pay it back.

Message 2 of 4
kdmitchell27
New Contributor

Right. Never ever call it a loan, never mention it as a loan of you won't be able to use it. It has to be a gift with the understanding that you will not have to pay it back in the eyes of the lender. So whatever you have as a plan with your family, keep it to yourself. As far as the lender is concerned it is a gift.

Lender Pulled Credit Rating as of 4.10.2013. (Fico Experian: 660) (Fico TU: 685) (Fico Equifax: 659)
Message 3 of 4
foofighter74
Established Contributor

And remember that if you do, in fact, pay back the money they gift you...you've technically committed mortgage fraud.  So make sure your family is quiet about it as well. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.