Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fannie Mae Eligibility Requirements

tag
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

Re: Fannie Mae Eligibility Requirements

On my credit report there is no mention of any program (IBR or otherwise), it just states Great Lakes installment loan, the total balance, and has a monthly payment listed at $400ish

Starting Score: January 2014 Experian: 713 Equifax: 668 Transunion: 691
December 2015 Score: Experian: 766 Equifax: 751 Transunion: 759
October 2018 Score: Transunion:735

Goal Score: 800’s across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anne1208 wrote:

On my credit report there is no mention of any program (IBR or otherwise), it just states Great Lakes installment loan, the total balance, and has a monthly payment listed at $400ish

Fannie takes the greater of 1% of the balance or your actual payment. So if your total balance is less than $40,000, the $400 will be used.

Message 12 of 19
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

hey dpeezy,

that's not necessarily true.  I owe 35k in student loans and my monthly payment is $212....this was not a issue and it the payment used in our disclosures to calculated DTI.

and OP, my apologies, but in my earlier posts, I was thinking FHA and not Fannie Mae.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@frugalQ wrote:

hey dpeezy,

that's not necessarily true.  I owe 35k in student loans and my monthly payment is $212....this was not a issue and it the payment used in our disclosures to calculated DTI.

and OP, my apologies, but in my earlier posts, I was thinking FHA and not Fannie Mae.

Correct, as long as the student loan will fully amortize with no payment adjustments. If there will be any payment adjustments, the greater of 1% or the actual payment must be used. This change is less than a year old. From FNMA:

Student Loans

For all student loans, whether deferred, in forbearance, or in repayment (not deferred), the lender must use the greater of the following to determine the monthly payment to be used as the borrower’s recurring monthly debt obligation:

• 1% of the outstanding balance; or

• the actual documented payment (documented in the credit report, in documentation obtained from the student loan lender, or in documentation supplied by the borrower).

If the payment currently being made cannot be documented or verified, 1% of the outstanding balance must be used.

Exception: If the actual documented payment is less than 1% of the outstanding balance and it will fully amortize the loan with no payment adjustments, the lender may use the lower, fully-amortizing monthly payment to qualify the borrower.

Message 14 of 19
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

It's okay!

Yeah my loans are WELL over $40k so I am assumign the 1800/mo figure. Which again, is totally fine if they use a backend of 45%, just iffy if they use a backend max of 36%, bc our backend DTI with the "Fake" 1800/mo payment is like, 36.5-37%.

I wish they just went by my actual payment!! With an ACTUAL DTI of 18% front end and 24% back end, the house we want is comfortably within our means. But they don't go by that! oh well.

Message 15 of 19
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

My $400 does NOT fully amortize the loan (as soon as we get in a dang house and I stop saving so much oney for the house I will pay extra to at least cover interest, but I digress...)

So, it is the 1%. 

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anne1208 wrote:

It's okay!

Yeah my loans are WELL over $40k so I am assumign the 1800/mo figure. Which again, is totally fine if they use a backend of 45%, just iffy if they use a backend max of 36%, bc our backend DTI with the "Fake" 1800/mo payment is like, 36.5-37%.

I wish they just went by my actual payment!! With an ACTUAL DTI of 18% front end and 24% back end, the house we want is comfortably within our means. But they don't go by that! oh well.

Hey Anne,

As frugal was explaining, those "hard numbers" in the matrix above are only if you do not get approved by automated underwriting. If you get an AUS approval, you do not need to use the matrix.

Message 17 of 19
Anne1208
Regular Contributor

Okay, great, thanks!

So somebody already said they don't know what the algorithm is that is used in Aitomatic underwriting, so i suppose there is no way to know for sure if we will get approved through AU until we do it?  How often are people in manual instead of AU, particularly where mortgage score is in the 660 range?

We have another 7 months or so before we would want to try to get approved, so hopefully my husband's mortgage score goes up by then and it's a nonissue, but if it doesn't I like to know what our limitations are.  

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anne1208 wrote:

Okay, great, thanks!

So somebody already said they don't know what the algorithm is that is used in Aitomatic underwriting, so i suppose there is no way to know for sure if we will get approved through AU until we do it?  How often are people in manual instead of AU, particularly where mortgage score is in the 660 range?

We have another 7 months or so before we would want to try to get approved, so hopefully my husband's mortgage score goes up by then and it's a nonissue, but if it doesn't I like to know what our limitations are.  

AUS takes into consideration credit, income, assets, and debts for sure. It's really hard to see without seeing your entire file, but if you continue to improve your credit score your chances will only get better Smiley Happy.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.