Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fannie lowers downpayments

tag
New Contributor

Fannie lowers downpayments

FICOs
04/08/08 TU 761 EQ 740 EX 756
Closed on my first mortgage on 4/25/2008!!!
05/18/08 TU 771 EQ 740 EX 756
08/18/08 TU 749 EQ776 EX 768
I never have real credit card debt, just the 1-9% for reporting purposes!!!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: Fannie lowers downpayments

Message Edited by DallasLoanGuy on 05-16-2008 02:52 PM
Retired Lender
Message 2 of 6
Mythic850
Contributor

It amazes me that there has been zero discussion about this here on the Mortgage forum. Anyone have any insight they would like to share about the impact of this? What will this mean in practice, especially for those of us living in "declining market areas" (southern California)?

I'm just getting to the point of shopping around for a mortgage and was hoping to only put 3% down. Until this announcement, it appeared my only choice was going to be FHA. With this announcement from Fannie Mae I'm assuming that now I can get a 3% down (Flex97) conforming mortgage.

Assuming I qualify for both, what are the meaningful differences between the two?
Message 3 of 6
CLee

Does this now rival FHA in that you can get a minimal down payment-based loan without paying the whopping up front MIP that FHA loans require?
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Fannie Flex mortgages (over 95% LTV) will more than likely go away, and probably very soon. The hard thing about them is the mortgage insurance- while Fannie may give an approval for it, it's the mortgage insurance (MI) that's getting tough to find as most MI companies are raising the requirements to eliminate 98% of applicants (i.e., United Guaranty requires like a 740 or 760 middle credit score for anything over 90%). Both Fannie and Freddie's 100% programs were dropped earlier this year because of this. That's why FHA has become so popular. However, what is good about the FHA is the lower monthly mortgage insurance, so payment wise, you're better off.

The declining markets thing is a little different. If you are in an area that is a Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac designated declining market, the amount you can borrow will be lowered by a minimum of 5%. And even if your property is not in a designated area and the appraiser notes anything on the appraisal that indicates a weaker market- marketing time over 6 months, over supply of homes on the market, etc.- they'll knock it down by 5%, too. On an FHA loan, because the government guarantees 25% of the loan amount, declining markets are not really an issue.

While there is an up front mortgage insurance premium charge of 1.5%, it is financed into the loan- meaning that on a $100K purchase price, the loan amount is raised by $1500 in order to cover the charge. This is a lower up front charge than a VA or Rural Development loan (3%+ and 2% respectively). However, FHA also charges a 0.50% yearly mortgage insurance premium charge on the outstanding principal amount which is collected monthly in your total payment, where the other programs do not have a monthly mortgage insurance premium charged- once you've paid the up front fee, you're done. So, if you hold onto that FHA loan for the whole 30 years, you wind up paying 6-9% in mortgage insurance premiums over the life of the loan. You will pay the monthly MI to FHA until you have reached that magic 75% LTV. Lastly, unlike the other two government programs, if you sell or refinance in the first three years, you will get a partial refund of the mortgage insurance premiums you've paid.

I hope this makes sense- there are no such things as nut shells in our industry.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

My bad- the 1.5% UFMIP is on loan amount, not purchase price... sorry.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.