cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Federal Taxes

tag
magman

Federal Taxes

I'm in the process of buying a home with an FHA loan and I just found out that I owe $2800 for the 2011 tax year.  I just completed my home inspection and my appraisal will be this week and should be sent to underwiting shortly.  Is it possible to file for an extension and pay taxes after I close or will this have to be paid before closing?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Federal Taxes

@magman wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a home with an FHA loan and I just found out that I owe $2800 for the 2011 tax year.  I just completed my home inspection and my appraisal will be this week and should be sent to underwiting shortly.  Is it possible to file for an extension and pay taxes after I close or will this have to be paid before closing?

This is from the IRS website: Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your tax liability.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ouch! I'm sorry this is hitting you at the final hour, but I agree with the other poster...you're going to have to take care of it.
Message 3 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

The IRS is pretty good about working with you on a payment plan, you can set it up to auto draft from your checking account on a particular day of the month.  

This way you wouldn't have to pay it all now, you could pay most of it after you close.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 6
K_J
Regular Contributor

+1 Just make payment arrangements with them and you should be good.

Starting Score: EQ: 532, EX: 569, TU: 621 (All lender pull 10/15/11)
Score: EQ: 660,lender pull 4/13, EX: 671 lender pull 4/13, TU: 691 lender pull (4/13)
, current Score (3/16/17) EQ: 724. Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

+1 to payment plan - easy to setup as long as you did it on time. Afterwords, they become a little more of a pain.

Extensions do not apply to amounts due; it just gives you more time to complete the actual tax returns. You must make a payment with your extension if you owe anything.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.