cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feeling so many emotions right now.. in need of advice.

tag
kal0824
Valued Member

Feeling so many emotions right now.. in need of advice.

So first of all I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum! My husband and I have raised our scores more than I could have imagined because of all of you. Mine is still needing some work but I raised my husbands score from 586 to 721 in almost 5 months (experian). I still can't believe it. 

Our original plan was to get a mortgage with his scores because I have a couple of portfolio recovery collections (charged off cc's) and they don't want to help me at all, so that is affecting my score a great deal. We went to go apply for a usda loan and the mortgage lender said if we were going to use both of our incomes we have to both apply. My heart sank sitting in his office. I just knew there was no way. Turns out my middle score is 635 which is only 5 points away from being ok. Despite that everything else turned out good.. income, savings, rental history, etc. so he told us we could go ahead and apply and we should be ok if we did manual underwriting. Even though he told us this I am still nervous about not being at the 640 mark. Do you think this is a big deal? I am trying not to get my hopes up in case something happens, but it is hard. I want a house so bad. 

On another note we have started looking at houses since we are pre-approved. The first house we found was perfect... great neighborhood, newly built house, we both fell in love when we saw it, but someone placed an offer before we could and it was accepted. Bummer. Then we found another house, but mortgage lender and realtor are saying it isn't available for a usda loan because it is in city limits, but according to the map on the usda website it is eligible. Apparently they haven't updated their map in a while and this house is in a new neighborhood. Then we found another house which may or may not be eligible (same issue with the map) but it is a foreclosure and I am not sure I want to wait months and months to find out we may not get it (it is way underpriced). It has been an emotional weekend but I know everything happens for a reason and there is a perfect house just waiting for us. So everyone please cross your fingers everything goes ok!!

Starting Score: 567
Current Score: 635
Goal Score: 700's

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Feeling so many emotions right now.. in need of advice.

@kal0824 wrote:

So first of all I would like to say thank you to everyone on this forum! My husband and I have raised our scores more than I could have imagined because of all of you. Mine is still needing some work but I raised my husbands score from 586 to 721 in almost 5 months (experian). I still can't believe it. 

Our original plan was to get a mortgage with his scores because I have a couple of portfolio recovery collections (charged off cc's) and they don't want to help me at all, so that is affecting my score a great deal. We went to go apply for a usda loan and the mortgage lender said if we were going to use both of our incomes we have to both apply. My heart sank sitting in his office. I just knew there was no way. Turns out my middle score is 635 which is only 5 points away from being ok. Despite that everything else turned out good.. income, savings, rental history, etc. so he told us we could go ahead and apply and we should be ok if we did manual underwriting. Even though he told us this I am still nervous about not being at the 640 mark. Do you think this is a big deal? I am trying not to get my hopes up in case something happens, but it is hard. I want a house so bad. 

On another note we have started looking at houses since we are pre-approved. The first house we found was perfect... great neighborhood, newly built house, we both fell in love when we saw it, but someone placed an offer before we could and it was accepted. Bummer. Then we found another house, but mortgage lender and realtor are saying it isn't available for a usda loan because it is in city limits, but according to the map on the usda website it is eligible. Apparently they haven't updated their map in a while and this house is in a new neighborhood. Then we found another house which may or may not be eligible (same issue with the map) but it is a foreclosure and I am not sure I want to wait months and months to find out we may not get it (it is way underpriced). It has been an emotional weekend but I know everything happens for a reason and there is a perfect house just waiting for us. So everyone please cross your fingers everything goes ok!!

Couple things:

Portofolio Recovery will work with you, for sure. They may be being kinda hard ball right now, but they almost always cave. You didn't mention to them you will be buying a house in a PFD etter did you? If you did that could cause big time hardball --- but they are VERY apt to delete after payment, so if you have the money, and want these gone, if they won't do a PFD you could PIF and then GW a deletion from them. They usually do it, and fast. YMMV though. How much is the debt to PRA?

Do you have any credit card usage you can drop to get those extra 5 points?  

I personally would wait until your middle score qualifys, because adding your income could easily offset your debts and let you get the house you REALLY want.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 9
kal0824
Valued Member

I have tried multiple time with portfolio recovery and they haven't budged yet, but I will keep trying. And reading everyone else's bad experiences with them doesn't help either haha. My debt with them is $2000 total including their fees. All of the other collections we had were so easy to get removed. Do you have a personal experience with portfolio recovery or heard success stories with them?

We only have one credit card and it is barely used and paid off in full every month. I don't know what else I can do to get 5 points. 

Message 3 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@kal0824 wrote:

I have tried multiple time with portfolio recovery and they haven't budged yet, but I will keep trying. And reading everyone else's bad experiences with them doesn't help either haha. My debt with them is $2000 total including their fees. All of the other collections we had were so easy to get removed. Do you have a personal experience with portfolio recovery or heard success stories with them?

We only have one credit card and it is barely used and paid off in full every month. I don't know what else I can do to get 5 points. 

is the 2000 in debt what is reporting on your reports or have you negotiated an amount with them? many of us have had success with gw's after being repeatedly denied a pfd from a ca. how much of a balance are you letting report on the cc. i would shoot for a small balance to report being as you only have one cc. keep your head up and if for some reason you are denied home loan main priority would be focus on the last baddies on your reports then try again shortly down the road. there is always a better more perfect home out there. if it doesnt happen now it will happen later. best of luck for you and your family

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 9
kal0824
Valued Member

rootpooty - The $2000 is what is reporting on my report. On my cc we just use for gas. $100 approximately every month. Just enough to show some activity. 

The portfolio recovery collections are a little over 2 years old. 

Message 5 of 9
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

what is the limit on the credit card? you might get lucky and the LO come back and say they can do it but the 2000 in debt needs to be paid

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 9
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@kal0824 wrote:

Personal experience for the same exact reason, removing in advance of a mortgage.. 

I just worked through their stupid online form. No contacts, no insider information. They wouldn't budge for a PFD.. so I just accepted their offer to settle.. They gave me like, a 800 dollars settlement on 1300 dollars of debt. I paid it in one payment, and then sent another email and letter in the mail about a week later. They never responded but it was off my credit report 2 weeks later.

Keep in mind, if you ever sent them a letter that says something along the lines of 'will only communicate via letter' they intenionally treat that as a cease and desist and become real crappy to deal with.. This is just from my experience.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 7 of 9
kal0824
Valued Member

rootpooty - My limit is $500. I got it when my credit score was in the 580's and got stuck with a secured card. I was denied for a regular one.

My loan officer told me to hold off on paying it right now. If during the underwriting they tell me I need to pay it I will. I have the money to do so, but he said the debt shouldn't be a problem since I applied for a usda loan. He said if I applied for a fha I would definately have to pay it off. 

Message 8 of 9
kal0824
Valued Member

rckstrscott - That is awesome they removed it with a settlement! I don't remember the exact words I used in my letter. I have them filed away. I didn't say anything along those lines though.  

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.