Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fha downpayment screw up help!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fha downpayment screw up help!

I finally got my score up high enough to be approved for a home loan - yay! That's the good news. Bad news is i think ive screwed up with the downpayments funds. Fha is super strict. So, i sold my extra car and was going to use the money from the this for the downpayment. I was told i needed a cashiers check from the buyer and not to accept cash. So we went to my bank to do the transaction. He gave the teller cash and we asked for a certified check to me from him. The teller deposited the cash into my account. Turned around and made a certified check to me but on the check they typed from buyers name for purchase of car and then deposited it back into savings.  My mortgage contact told me that this was wrong and fha will not accept it. Even though we havr bill of sale copy of title, etc. This will not work bc it was cash put into my account. My mortgage person told me that we could come up with another way to get money before closing (whatever this means), but im still freaking out. I thought of calling bank firstthing Monday and asking them to reverse the charges. I just don't know =/ any advice/help??

6 REPLIES 6
kc0039
Established Contributor

Re: Fha downpayment screw up help!

Bill of sale (signed by both parties), letter of explanation, the ad where you put your car up for sale needs to be added to the letter of explanation. Even ask your bank if they can provide a letter of explanation by the teller. Ask if that is enough to prove the dp funds.

Licensed in IL
Message 2 of 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

what kc said.

if that doesnt work. try another lender

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 7
kc0039
Established Contributor

@kc0039 wrote:

Bill of sale (signed by both parties), letter of explanation, the ad where you put your car up for sale needs to be added to the letter of explanation. Even ask your bank if they can provide a letter of explanation by the teller. Ask if that is enough to prove the dp funds.

And of course a copy of the transaction going into your account.

Licensed in IL
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kc0039 wrote:

This should work.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could also ask someome to gift you the money......and I can't say much more...follow what I am saying. BTW the way are the funds available in your savings...???

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies... i was able to get the branch manager to write a letter of explanation regarding the mishap. Turns out though that this will not even be needed. We close in 45 days and they only need 30 day bank statement, so the transaction won't even show on the statement. Woop woop!
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.