Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Financial Aid refund questions

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Financial Aid refund questions

In a few days, I will receive a financial aid refund. I planned to use the refund money to pay off two credit card balances. Will this pose a problem for underwriters when they see the large deposit on my bank statements? I overspent during the christmas holiday and can't take the score hit letting the high cc balances report.  

Should I tell my broker what I plan to do? Will this kill my deal??

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
BrianB_The_Loan_Professor
Valued Contributor

Re: Financial Aid refund questions

You should be fine - be prepared to explain and docuent where the funds came from

Brian

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian B The Loan Professor
Mortgage Banker - offering FHA, VA, USDA , and Conventional mortgages in all 50 states -

If I do not respond to a follow up question please feel free to contact me directly
Message 2 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Thanks Brian. I was worried about the score drop if i didn't pay it....worried about the additional school loan...worrying about everything. 

Message 3 of 5
OaimeeO
New Contributor

Make sure you make a copy of the check before cashing it or save the stub.  Have a copy of your schools statement showing the exact amount being refunded to you so there is a paper trail.  Also, have a copy of the bank statement showing the same amount deposited into your bank account.  I did not know this ahead of time and had to jump through hoops to get my school to send me a statement showing the refund since we were into the next sememster by the time I learned of a 'paper trail'!! But it was no problem with the mortgage app in the end.

Message 4 of 5
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@OaimeeO wrote:

Make sure you make a copy of the check before cashing it or save the stub.  Have a copy of your schools statement showing the exact amount being refunded to you so there is a paper trail.  Also, have a copy of the bank statement showing the same amount deposited into your bank account.  I did not know this ahead of time and had to jump through hoops to get my school to send me a statement showing the refund since we were into the next sememster by the time I learned of a 'paper trail'!! But it was no problem with the mortgage app in the end.

Thank you so much! I am on it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.