Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Buying Investment Properties With My Brothers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Buying Investment Properties With My Brothers

I am in the process of planning and purchasing a few investment properties with my brothers. They each work as real estate agents and we all live in California, but our plan is to buy a few properties in AZ. The realtor they work for owns over 90 units locally and brings in close to 100k a month after expenses and he is who has convinced us of the benefit of this plan. We have been working with a local realtor and we are heading out there in a few weeks to make the decisions. I do own a home currently, but did not go through the process of the purchase as the S.O. already bought the home. We have a decent amount available to cover at least 20% down on a few properties. 

What kind of rates are we looking at and how difficult is it to get approved for out of state investment property purchases?

What are the drawbacks to out of state property?

I like the security of buying condos with HOA fees to help cover some of the cost and the security and upkeep. What are your thoughts on that?

I would prefer 2bed 2bath places at a cheaper cost rather than 3bed+ places that would only bring in possibly an extra 100-200 a month. What are your thoughts on size of individual rental over multiple properties?

And any other suggestions or information you think I/we should know would be great! Thank you!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
CaSHMeRe
New Contributor

Re: First Time Buying Investment Properties With My Brothers

SEE BOLD

What kind of rates are we looking at and how difficult is it to get approved for out of state investment property purchases?

A:  Shouldn matter where its located.  Atleast I haven't had issues.  Assuming great credit, great salary history & solid employment and atleast 20-25% down, you really shouldn't have many issues.  

What are the drawbacks to out of state property?

A:  Dealing with a PM blows.  Personally, I'd stay away from Buy & Holds (assuming that is what you are going with) unless you can manage it yourself.  Lousy PM's (Property Managers) account for 95% of what I have seen.  "Phantom" issues always seem to appear, and you'll spend more time managing your property manager than making money.

I like the security of buying condos with HOA fees to help cover some of the cost and the security and upkeep. What are your thoughts on that?

A:  Stay far, far, far, FAR, away.  HOA's are a tax ~ they will never go away, and they never go down, cutting in to your profits.  

I would prefer 2bed 2bath places at a cheaper cost rather than 3bed+ places that would only bring in possibly an extra 100-200 a month. What are your thoughts on size of individual rental over multiple properties?

A:  I only invest in 3+ bedrooms.  You can pick up 2/1 and 2/2's cheaper, however, you have to think about plan B & C.  In my experience, much easier to resell a 3+ bedroom SFH (Single Family Home) as opposed to anything smaller.

Feel free to ask more questions.  I've been a landlord for about 5-6 years now ... Have dealt with both local rentals, and rentals far enough away that I had to deal with Property Managers.

Lastly ~ Check out  www.BiggerPockets.com ... You'll thank me later Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.