Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Home Buyers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Home Buyers

Hey Everyone! SO I am hoping to get some encouragement and positive stories. My husband and I had to file bankruptcy in 2010, and were discharged in Nov. 10. We've been patiently waiting and re-building our credit. Happy to say we both have mid scores around 690 and very little debt. (a car payment that's $260 and one credit card that has a balance of $800 out of $1700 and we pay $200 a month on). We are pre-approved to buy a home, and have an offer in on the most incredible short sale house ever. We're waiting patiently on the bank to approve our offer. And I'm of course going over all possible scenario's in my mind. We're planning on going an FHA loan, unless USDA decides to love us and make an exception on the 3 year waiting period. If you have any experience with purchasing after bankruptcy, short sales, ect I would greatly appreciate it! Also we currently have $1,700 in savings (for inspections and good faith deposit) as well as $9,600 in an IRA we plan on pulling for our down payment. Thank you in advance! Love reading through this community!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: First Time Home Buyers

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting your scores to where they are after BK.

Short sales can become a long journey to home ownership. If you are willing to wait 3-6 months for the home, then by all means pursue it. There is a member on this forum that has been waiting almost a year for the bank to accept their offer for the short sale. We found an incredible short sale too but couldn't wait it out.

Our lender told us it would have to be 2 years from discharge to qualify and we filed a 13. Two years is coming up at the end of this month but we already qualify because the 13 was deleted in Oct at the 7 year mark. I do think the lockout period depends on the lender. We are going with an FHA too.

We had to put down $2,000 in earnest money on a new build we are on contract for. I didn't know you could put in an offer without putting down earnest money. If you don't know how much you need for earnest money, I would check with your realtor as it could be more than $1700.

How much is the short sale? You have to put 3.5% down for an FHA. Also what is your total gross income?

I know with 401K, you can only take a loan out for 50% value for a downpayment. So I would check the IRA rules. If you withdraw from your IRA, you will have to pay hefty taxes on the amount pulled so I would take a loan out if possible.

I admit that I think your savings is a bit thin if you take the full amount out for earnest money, your balance will be zero. We are going through a program that puts 3% down into a second mortgage and our earnest money covers the remaining 0.5% for FHA. The builder is paying our closing costs and prepaids. So the loan we are taking out of our 401K is for new furniture and to replenish our savings. I wouldn't close without any savings. Do you have other savings above $1700 elsewhere? You need to have savings elsewhere for emergencies after closing as an emergency could jeopardize your ability to make the mortgage payment.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your also on your way to home ownership so exciting!

We've already been pre-approved. And it's an IRA so it has different rules then the 401k you can pull the total amount out for downpayment and closing costs as long as it does not exceed $10,000 without penalties (and just so you know penalties are only 10% and then you have to claim what you've pulled as income then making it "taxable" Unless it's a roth IRA which has completely different set of rules) So not to worried about our downpayment.

Also to clarify we've already gotten the signed offer from the sellers and are waiting on the bank, already submitting our good faith deposit which is only $1,000. When the bank accepts the offer that check will clear through our account, in the meantime it's just hanging out. We do have time to wait, we are in no rush, and are blessed to live in a nice home in a good neighborhood, so I'm ok until we hear back from the bank.

Excited for you and your adventure you'll have to keep me updated on how your house goes!
Message 3 of 6
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

That sounds good. In the meantime while you are waiting, I would work hard to replenish your savings. I feel very uneasy and like I have no money without savings. Savings is so very very important.

I'm assuming the $9600 is for downpayment, closing costs, and prepaids. Our closing costs and prepaids are $8,000 and the downpayment is $12,250. We have an extra $10,000 on the way for moving, furniture, and savings only.

Our earnest money cleared yesterday and we are on contract and in the underwriting process. So on our way. Good luck! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yay so excited for you! I pray it goes amazing and smoothly, and that you have more then enough money! Smiley Happy That you don't have any stress and that your blown away by the way it all goes!

We are actually asking the bank to pay our closing costs, so we only need a downpayment which leaves us a few thousand left over for his IRA or other unforseen expenses, and yes I'm saving every penny. I'm self employed (my husband has above full time job) and so my business gets large amounts of money randomly throughout the year, and right now I'm getting ready to head into my peak season.. so I'm hoping to get a few thousand more in our savings by the end of the month! I'll let you know how ours goes! Keep me updated on yours!
Message 5 of 6
deg757
Regular Contributor

Just FYI, the 10% penalty is waived if you are using the IRA withdrawal to purchase your first home. It qualifies as your first home if you have not owned a home in the last two years.

Starting scores 2/27/12 TU 605 EX 576 EQ 560
Current scores lender pull 9/6/12 TU 663 EX 629 EQ 645
Closed on our first home 10/26/2012!
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.