Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Homebuyer - FHA loan requirements

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Homebuyer - FHA loan requirements

I'm very excited about the prospect of buying a home and stop wasting my money on rent.  As I understand it, now is a good time to buy but I have credit issues.  I've paid off all past due collections on my credit report, but I was unable to pay for delete for most.  My credit scores are EX 615, TRU 620, EQ 640.  I make $39K per year and only have one credit card (J.C. Penny's credit card) that's always been paid on time - I gave it to my mother way back when I was in college - and besides utilities and rent, it is my only debt now.  In the current house market I'm looking for 50 - 80K for a home taxes at 3-4K per year.  I should have $3,000K saved by January.

I am currently rehabbing a 30K defaulted student loan at $350.00 per month and I will finish that program in March.  Also I had a collection account opened on my credit reports 4/08.  In addition, I will make two years on the job in April.  I was unemployed/worked part-time for 6 years prior after a lay-off.

My question is, will I have to wait until April to qualify for a FHA loan?   I'm fine with waiting, I just don't want additional inquiries on my CRs if I won't qualify - and I'm afraid I'll miss a good deal on a home.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Time Homebuyer - FHA loan requirements

I meant to say that the 30K student loan no longer appears on my credit reports, but I'm sure that if I apply for a FHA loan, it will come up.
Message 2 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Gap in employment shouldn't be a huge issue.  If the student loans are federal then you'd need to wait until they are finished the rehab so they won't trigger a CAIVRS claim/make you ineligible for FHA.  Once you have completed the rehab, and get a letter from the student loan lender acknowledging so, then you should be free to apply for FHA.  Appears your debt to income ratio should be OK & credit looks OK, so it's just a matter of waiting out the rehab.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks for clearing that up for me shane.  you rock!
Message 4 of 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Welcome and thanks!
Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.