Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Homebuyers...do we qualify?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Homebuyers...do we qualify?

My husband is the only one who works and makes $56k. 2 car payments at $1100 and that's it. What is the max we would qualify for? We were told by countrywide and another lender it would be only $85k-$92k because of the 2 vehicles which were bought april 07' and that it is affecting our debt to ratio with the FHA lenders.  Basically we got approved with FHA with Nehemiah but with those prices it's hard to find a decent house for $85k-$92k here in houston texas or one in the area we want. We paid off a judgement in March 08' and everything else is over 4 years old and his credit scores are 583 with transunion, 590 with equifax and 594 with experian. We are looking at houses at $110-$120k but no more for comfort sake.
Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
tryingtogetitrightnow
Regular Contributor

Re: First Time Homebuyers...do we qualify?

From what I've seen, I'd say you need to get one of those cars paid off (or within 10 months of being paid off) before you can qualify for more.

Starting Scores:10/09/13 EX ???; EQ 661; TU 668
Current Scores: 11/23/13 EX 655; EQ 679; TU 705
Goal Scores:700+ for all
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 35
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

I thought 90k seemed low too but after calculating it, it's right on... I am in Texas too, we have high taxes here, that's part of the reason for a lower loan maybe? I am new to this too, we should be going for a loan later this year/first of next year, like the previous post mentioned, try to pay off down to less than 10 mos on one car then it isn't added into DTI and you can loan for more... That's what we are doing right now too! Isn't fun, but you can loan for a nicer home, so worth it. Courtney
9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 3 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

You definitely need to pay off one of the cars. Your DTI is high with 1100 in car loans.
Message 4 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I forgot to mention they are on leases and won't be up until April 2010
Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with everyone. Your current DTI with the 2 auto loans is already at 24%. That is HIGH considering that is not including a mortgage. You must pay off one of those to get a higher loan amt.
Message 6 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay thanks for the advice...maybe I just need to make more money..haha!
Message 7 of 35
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jpalacios. With your current D/I ratio of 24%, you are not left with much wiggle room. If the lender wants you to be at 40% D/I on the back end, that only leaves 16% for your house or $747 per month PITI. Is it possible for you to work outside the home?

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 849
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

We actually can afford more for a home seeing as we only pay vehicles. Take home is actually $4500 because of bonuses he receives monthly and commissions so we know with $1100 with vehicles and a house note at $1000 or so we could do it but because of the ratios lender says no. On another note though or lender just called to say we can't get a house at all until my husband's score gets to a 600. New FHA law goes into affect tomorrow so as of tomorrow our approval is no good.
Message 9 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

What would be ideal gross income for a $120k house? What if I use a down payment assistance program? Will this help me qualify for more house? Husband is working on raising his scores so don't know how that helps. Honestly in Houston Texas in the area we are looking at their is nothing work looking at if it's under $100k and if there are some they already have contracts on them. Even if I were to work now how would the lender know how much to account for?
Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.