Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Homeowners credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Homeowners credit

Hey Fico friends,

I am closing on my house next week and am very excited.  The $8,000 tax credit has been changed so many times that I thought I would come to you guys for answers. I know you can claim the credit on your 2009 credit, but I also heard you can claim on 2008 amended return.  If I amend my 2008 tax credit:

1.  Is the gross income phase out from my 2008 or 2009 gross income AND

2.  If I amend 2008, would I receive that refund earlier and if so, how long does that usually take. 

Any advice, direction, or websites I can check out for an answer would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Time Homeowners credit

I think it would use your 2008 income, since you'd be amending your return for that year. Yes, you would get the refund earlier. However, I've been following people on this forum who have amended their returns. It seems to be taking longer and longer to get the check because there are so many amended returns being filed. They're backed up. But you'd still get it earlier than waiting until next winter/spring.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looks like 12-16 weeks these days.  Send certified with return receipt.  I missed that tidbit when I mailed, oh well..
Message 3 of 5
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

At this point, it may take until the end of the year to get the refund. You can ammend 2008, or wait and file it all on 2009.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats on your closing!!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.