Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Timer Buying - can I get approved? how much $ needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Timer Buying - can I get approved? how much $ needed

Gross Income: $68k [$5,666/mo] (standard w-2 salary full-time job, 4yrs at current employer)

Looking at single family houses, primary residence, in $200k range.  I know this is a bit on the higher side of the range for my income, but income will be increasing again in the not too distant future (probably up to $73k/yr in a couple months) and I'm single without much in the way of expenses.  I just gotta feed myself, pay for utils and car.  Taxes are a bit high in the areas I'm looking at (~$285/mo).

FICOs from May2

EQU: 643 (FICO)

TSU: 671 (FICO)

Revolving utilization at the time of those scores was 90%.  Now down to 65%.

EQU: AvgAge:2

EQU: Oldest: 7.6yrs

TSU: AvgAge: 4

TSU: Oldest: 17.3yrs

Only negatives are two judgements, both satisfied, one 01/2006, one 07/2005.  No late payments to be found.

New car loan four months ago.  I probably should have waited, but in my mind, I'll have a car payment for at least for the next 8-10 years.  So I don't give much thought to whether it's a new loan or old, but probably the banks do.

Current debt payments:

$458 - car

$217 - revolving minimums

$228 - 401k loan (not on CR, source of the $7k I have in cash and sent some to pay revolving balances down a bit)

I have

$9k in my 401k (can't borrow against this due to loan mentioned)

$7k sitting in my checking

$9-$10k in stuff I can sell quickly (classic car parts for which I have buyers, if I need them) but would only sell what i have to.

I'm thinking FHA would be the only option in the short-term, but I'm not even sure if that would be possible.

As I stated, this would be my first purchase, so I'm looking for feedback/thoughts.  In addition to the $9-$10k on liquid saleable items listed above, I could probably squeeze a few more grand out if I sold some things that I would prefer to hang on to.  I would only consider that if I see a property that was too good to pass up.

Obviously that $7k wouldn't even get me to closing on a $200k home.  So I've accepted the fact that I will need to sell some stuff if something pops up requiring quick action, but I'm not sure how much, and whether I should keep it in cash, or knock some more off those revolving balances.

In the event that a house popped up tomorrow for $200k that I wanted to act on, what would you recommend?

Here are my current open tradelines (there are others closed - All accounts, both open and closed have perfect payment histories):

Open DateTypeBalLimit
8/1/2004Credit$4800$5000
6/1/2008Credit$0$500
7/1/2008Charge$0$600
3/1/2009Credit$0$1500
3/1/2010Credit$2150$3500
9/1/2010Charge$1320$1500
2/1/2011Installment (car)$26k 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Timer Considering Buying - cash needed? can I get approved?

**EDIT** - Moved into original post
Message 2 of 3
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: First Timer Buying - can I get approved? how much $ needed

Debt ratio looks fine, down payment looks fine, credit looks fine... but you'd be short on paying closing costs.  If you plan on only accepting offers where the buyer is paying all of your closing costs, then personally I'd still want to save up at least another $4k on top of the $7k down payment I'd need on a $200k home... but to qualify for FHA you wouldn't need anything extra.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.