cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First mortgage payment due soon...any advocates for paying extra ??

tag
buyhouse36
Regular Contributor

First mortgage payment due soon...any advocates for paying extra ??

I have read all the pro and cons about if it makes financial sense to pay off mortgage early. I have also read about the many different ways to accelerate pay off. They say the earlier you start the better the returns. We only put down 10% so I am eager to get rid of PMI. So I think I want to follow one of the accelerated programs at least for a time. Any suggestions out there for the best method to use?
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ezdriver
Senior Contributor

Re: First mortgage payment due soon...any advocates for paying extra ??

If your primary motivation is to remove PMI, what typ of mortgage do you have? 

Accelerating principal reduction is accomplished by simply making adiitional payments, as often as you can/wish, and instructing the mortgage lender to apply those payment to principal reduction. How fast you pay down your principal depends on your cash availability.

Message 2 of 11
LieslMet

Until you figure out what you want to do, pay at least an additional $200 to principal every month. That would cut more than 10 years from a traditional, 30-year mortgage for $150K. 

$300 would cut it by 13 years.

$400 would take you to paying it off in just under 15 years.

$500 would make it, effectively, a 13-year mortgage.
$1000 would have the house paid off in 8.5 years. How fun is that? Smiley Very Happy

Bankrate has a great calculator/amortization table for this: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/mortgages/mortgage-calculator.aspx?MSA=8160&MSA=8160&MSA=8160&MS...

Message 3 of 11
buyhouse36
Regular Contributor

I have a conventional loan. I read a suggestion to pay the next months principal In addition to your regular payment. That cuts a 30 year mortgage in half. But the payments will get high.
Message 4 of 11
LieslMet

The beauty of the calculator I linked (there are others, I'm sure, but that and the snowballing feature on whatsthecost.com are what I always use) is that there's no "I hear 'blahblahblah'"... plug in the numbers and see what works for you. Play with different monthly amounts until the time is cut in half.

Message 5 of 11
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

has nothing to do with next month next month's principle.......  it simply boils down to extra principle reduction.

ANY extra payment is a good thing

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 11
buyhouse36
Regular Contributor

Thanks for all the input and the calculator was very helpful. After playing with the numbers, I will be sending a separate check every month for $100. That will leave funds to replenish my savings and still knock off about 10 years off my mortgage. Seems to be the most balanced approach.
Message 7 of 11
taggl00
Valued Member

what you were told about the next months principle is correct.....do NOT just send extra principle and check the box that says apply to principle, the mortgage company will simply apply it to the BACK end of your mortgage....you want it applied to the following months principle, you will need to include a letter stating to apply it to the next months payment, or payment #2. then the second month send in your regular payment and an extra principle payment and label it payment #3 and 4......this will dramatically payoff your loan quicker and save you thousands in interest.....it is easiest to do it in the beginning as your principle is very low.....if you just double the first 3 payments, you will rocket yourself into year 2 of payments

Message 8 of 11
BaileyMae
New Contributor

Is this something one should consider doing if you don't intend to stay in the house of the entire life of the loan?
Lender Pulled Scores(2/2014)

EQ: 750 (same a myFICO) EX: 707 TU: 728
Message 9 of 11
buyhouse36
Regular Contributor

@taggl00 wrote:

what you were told about the next months principle is correct.....do NOT just send extra principle and check the box that says apply to principle, the mortgage company will simply apply it to the BACK end of your mortgage....you want it applied to the following months principle, you will need to include a letter stating to apply it to the next months payment, or payment #2. then the second month send in your regular payment and an extra principle payment and label it payment #3 and 4......this will dramatically payoff your loan quicker and save you thousands in interest.....it is easiest to do it in the beginning as your principle is very low.....if you just double the first 3 payments, you will rocket yourself into year 2 of payments

I was told to send a separate check stating "principal only"....is that enough???

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.