Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time buyer tax credit questions!

tag
bubbles0605
Regular Contributor

First time buyer tax credit questions!

Is December 2009 the "deadline" for buying in order to get the tax credit? I thought it was August 2009.

Also, is the tax credit 15,000 now?

Starting Exp-545, TU-531,EQ-515
DH starting Exp-503,TU-486,EQ-470
short term goal: mine-600, DH-550
Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time buyer tax credit questions!

Deadline for acquiring the credit is Dec 09.  It is $8,000. 10% of purchase price, up to $8,000. max.

the $15,ooo. didn't get through.   However; the $8,000 credit does not have to be repaid if you stay in your home at least 3 years.w

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deadline for acquiring the credit is Dec 09.  It is $8,000. 10% of purchase price, up to $8,000. max.

the $15,ooo. didn't get through.   However; the $8,000 credit does not have to be repaid if you stay in your home at least 3 years.w

Message 2 of 7
Regular Contributor

Also I believe the deadline is December 1, 2009.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

• Home must be purchased by November 30, 2009 (hence before December 1, 2009)
  • The credit is refundable up to $8,000.00. If you purchase before the date you can either amend your taxes for 2008 or file with your 2009 taxes.
  • Remember you must be a first time home buyer,(Have not purchased or sold a home in the last 3 years) it has to be your principle residence.
  • Income limit of $75,000.00 for single person $150.000 if married.

Hope this answers your questions.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember you must be a first time home buyer,(Have not purchased or sold a home in the last 3 years) it has to be your principle residence.

How would a divorce effect this? Separated in like 2005....divorced march 2007. She was suppose to have the house taken out of his name but never did. He never got any never was able to claim any of rthe interest on the house during that time and when she sold it he had to sign the papers and didnt get any of the proceeds. Can he claim first time home buyer?

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I read something about the critera being that the person could not have an "ownership interest" in the property. Certainly not being able to claim the interest, not getting proceeds, etc would qualify. But I am not a professional so who knows if I am correct.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There has to be three years since the person has had any home-ownership stake.  the divorce will not matter.  If the home was in someone's name in the last 3 years, they do not qualify reagrdless if the person's ex-spouse was suppossed to refi the house into their name or sell the house, etc. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.