cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time home buyer - did I miss out on both credits?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time home buyer - did I miss out on both credits?

When my mother refinanced her home in February of last year I was added to the loan package and received and took advantage of the tax breaks( interest deductions etc.) for my 2008 taxes. Because the refinance took place in February I was not entitled to the $7500.00 tax credit for a first time home buyer,( assuming that was what I was because I was added to the refinance package ) because the refinance occurred before April 8th, 2008. However, I am this year in a month about to buy a home completely on my own but I think because I took advantage of the tax breaks from the 2008 transaction, and because it occurred before April 8th, I'm going to miss out on both credits. Can someone tell me if my thinking is flawed 
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
WannaHouse
Valued Contributor

Re: First time home buyer - did I miss out on both credits?

It sounds like you are now considered a co-owner of your mother's house? If so, then you will not qualify. If the house is in both of your names, then you are not considered a first time homeowner.

Kathy

We are finally homeowners!!

Closed May 5th-30 yr fixed at 5.25%.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time home buyer - did I miss out on both credits?

Additionally, you're out of luck, I'm afraid, on two other counts:

• both credits were only for new purchases, not refinancing;
  • and -- even if adding your name would be considered 'buying' half a house, the credit(s) were disallowed for purchases from close family.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.