Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time homebuyer/new job?

tag
chan85
Established Contributor

First time homebuyer/new job?

I currently am looking to purchase my first home next year. My current lease is up in June, so I have until the end of that month to move out. I have cleaned up my credit quite a bit and paid down most of my credit card debts. The little I have left will be paid by the end of the year. Additionally my car loan is about $5k and I plan to pay that off with some holiday overtime pay/bonuses/tax refunds by the latest March. Last thing is a pretty hefty amount of student loan debt. I have about $20k in private, but about $60k in federal. It is all currently deferred and I will be done with school in October 2012. I pay some here and there, but when I am done paying off the car, I can start directing that money to the private loans first and make arrangement for minimum payment to my federal loans.

I have been at my current job at a bank for 3 and a half years, make about $34-36K. I am in grad school for my MPA and also have an unpaid internship with a housing authority (which is related to my education field). I have only been at the internship for a month, but they have already discussed with me the possibility of full time work at the beginning of the year. They applied for a federal grant funding to cover a years salary for a coordinator position and would like me to do it if they get the funding. I am estatic to jump on this opportunity because its in my field, which is increasingly difficult to get into, and because it will pay upwards toward $50k.

Will banks be scared off if I have just switched jobs, and if it is only guranteed for a year? Thoughts? Advice?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
mocha82
Regular Contributor

Re: First time homebuyer/new job?

I think that your time in your field will be calculated into your employment as long as you are workin in the same field as your degree. 

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 4
chan85
Established Contributor

RE: First time homebuyer/new job?

My current job at the bank and my degree field are not related. I will only in the new job for about 2 months when i go for preapproval.... but it sounds like you are saying it will be ok since the new job is using my degree?

Current Debt Management:
$15k Trinity Financial Management (scheduled pay off late 2021)
$10k NFCU
$350/mth Bridgecrest Auto Loan
Goals: Pay off credit card debt & buy a new home before end of 2020

Long Term Debt:
Fed Loans - $150k
Navient - $100k

Taking a "if God don't do it, it won't get done..." approach to paying these off.
Message 3 of 4
mocha82
Regular Contributor

Re: RE: First time homebuyer/new job?

Yes what I meant is that I think they count your time in grad school and it continues into you time on the job as long as the job (after you graduate) is within your field of study.

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.