Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First-time homebuyer questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First-time homebuyer questions

Hi everyone,

I've been perusing these boards for the last few days and I was hoping someone would have advice for my situation.

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home.  We both are entirely clueless about the process and are hoping we're doing this the right way.

We both have excellent credit scores - my mid is 802, his mid is 795.  We make over $100,000 per year.  The thing is, we don't have much money to put down.  Right now we have $8000 in our savings account, which we would like to hold onto as much of it as we can to  use for the house itself, when we get into it.  We are hoping for 100% financing incl. closing costs, or 80/20 ideally, if we can get it.

Right now we are pre-qualified for 100% financing through Foxtons and Countrywide.  We've heard bad things about Foxtons, so we (thought) we decided to go with Countrywide.  Right now we only qualify for the 100%, but not the 80/20 as my husband does not have enough lines of credit.  I added him as a joint holder on one of my accounts, and he has applied for a CC of his own.  Countrywide told us that once he has his accounts for 30 days we will qualify for the 80/20.

We found a townhouse that we like and made an offer of $260,000.  We don't expect an acceptance, we're hoping to  get the house for $265,000.  We're looking to close on October 31, so there is still some time.

Reading all the news lately has gotten me really scared about using Countrywide for this.  What are our options here?  Do we cross our fingers and stick with Countrywide, or should we shop around some more?  If so, who should we inquire with?  (We tried calling GMAC and were entirely unhappy with the customer service we received, so they are out.)  We're scared we won't be able to get a mortgage because we don't have anything to put down.  I am also concerned about too many hits on our credit, that would bring our great scores down.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thank you so much!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First-time homebuyer questions

msspare wrote:

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home.
We both have excellent credit scores - my mid is 802, his mid is 795.
The thing is, we don't have much money to put down.
Right now we have $8000 in our savings account, which we would like to hold onto
What are our options here?
I am also concerned about too many hits on our credit, that would bring our great scores down.

If you're unhappy with the lender, go elsewhere. Your best bet is to talk with a broker. PM me if you like, and I'll give you the contact info for one.

You should be fine going 100% financing. DW and I are planning to do that. We have some reserves, which we'll use if we have to, but our plan is not to touch 'em.

My scores are lower 600s. DW scores are upper 600s. I don't foresee any problems with you getting into a home at 100% financing.

Don't worry about the inquiries. So long as they are coded as home loan inquiries, the de-duplication window treats them as one inquiry.

Message 2 of 8
ronq
Regular Contributor

Maybe OneMortgageGuy or Joe77 could give some other options. I believe they're both in the business. He will probably see this or maybe you could PM him for some advice. LIke he always says "scores aren't everything" and yours are pretty good. He may be able to help you lokk at more options. I'm not speaking for him just I have read a lot of his posts.

Message Edited by ronq on 08-22-2007 02:32 PM

Message Edited by ronq on 08-22-2007 04:39 PM
EX. 780 TU 794.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I think you need to shop around more and not settle for the first couple of options given to you. I'm not sure what state you live in but try shopping for "my community loans" or other types of FHA loans that have down payment assistance.  There is a lot of work in finding the right loan but worth the effort.  MG
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

802 and a 795 fico!!! You can get 100 percent all day long!

msspare wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've been perusing these boards for the last few days and I was hoping someone would have advice for my situation.

My husband and I are in the process of buying our first home.  We both are entirely clueless about the process and are hoping we're doing this the right way.

We both have excellent credit scores - my mid is 802, his mid is 795.  We make over $100,000 per year.  The thing is, we don't have much money to put down.  Right now we have $8000 in our savings account, which we would like to hold onto as much of it as we can to  use for the house itself, when we get into it.  We are hoping for 100% financing incl. closing costs, or 80/20 ideally, if we can get it.

Right now we are pre-qualified for 100% financing through Foxtons and Countrywide.  We've heard bad things about Foxtons, so we (thought) we decided to go with Countrywide.  Right now we only qualify for the 100%, but not the 80/20 as my husband does not have enough lines of credit.  I added him as a joint holder on one of my accounts, and he has applied for a CC of his own.  Countrywide told us that once he has his accounts for 30 days we will qualify for the 80/20.

We found a townhouse that we like and made an offer of $260,000.  We don't expect an acceptance, we're hoping to  get the house for $265,000.  We're looking to close on October 31, so there is still some time.

Reading all the news lately has gotten me really scared about using Countrywide for this.  What are our options here?  Do we cross our fingers and stick with Countrywide, or should we shop around some more?  If so, who should we inquire with?  (We tried calling GMAC and were entirely unhappy with the customer service we received, so they are out.)  We're scared we won't be able to get a mortgage because we don't have anything to put down.  I am also concerned about too many hits on our credit, that would bring our great scores down.

Opinions or suggestions?

Thank you so much!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks ronq!

ronq wrote:
Maybe OneMortgageGuy or Joe77 could give some other options. I believe they're both in the business. He will probably see this or maybe you could PM him for some advice. LIke he always says "scores aren't everything" and yours are pretty good. He may be able to help you lokk at more options. I'm not speaking for him just I have read a lot of his posts.

Message Edited by ronq on 08-22-2007 02:32 PM

Message Edited by ronq on 08-22-2007 04:39 PM

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive me if this is naive, but why don't people talk to their own local banks / credit unions to get a mortgage? That's what we plan on doing. Is there a reason not to? Do they tend to be more conservative in their approvals or offer higher rates than national mortgage companies?
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your right but you should still shop around! Your bank could be one of many that are effected by the "credit crunch" and cause you to get a higher rate or maybe no loan at all.

mhofmann wrote:
Forgive me if this is naive, but why don't people talk to their own local banks / credit unions to get a mortgage? That's what we plan on doing. Is there a reason not to? Do they tend to be more conservative in their approvals or offer higher rates than national mortgage companies?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.