Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time homebuyer - stimulus package

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First time homebuyer - stimulus package

Good morning all.  I have been pre-approved for a mortgage loan and am a first time home buyer. Just wondering if anyone out there may know. I have read that the 2008 returns can be amended to take advantage of the $8000 stimulus offer, but Im a dunce in regards to taxes does that mean we can amend after April 14th?  or if youve already filed you need to amend before April 14th?   Please move this question if it belongs elsewhere. =-)  Thanks!!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time homebuyer - stimulus package

You can amend anytime during the year.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes you can amend anytime. the only thing is you cannot amend online.  Just go down to your local tax office and they'll take care of it for you (for a fee of course).
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

And you have up to three (3) years to amend. First time home buyers tax credit of $7500 or more can't be efiled, either way you need to send it off by mail. The deposit Can be a direct deposit into your checking or savings account. You'll be waiting for about 3-5 weeks for that deposit. 
Message Edited by Richard on 03-11-2009 10:06 AM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the info. I had read that you could not efile, and I have already pulled form 5405 off of the irs website.  I did not realize that you could file for up to three years though...I dont think I will need to worry about that though as I have a feeling that the form 5405 will be in the mail as fast as  it will take the ink to dry on the mortgage loan.. =-)
Message 5 of 6
Christy0828
Valued Member

I am a CPA and it can and has been efiled many times by myself and firm this year.

Starting Score: 540 (EQ 10/2008) 565 (TU 10/2008) 558 (EX 10/2008)
Current Score: 670 (EQ 04/2010) 668 (TU 02/2010) 752 (02/2010 Quizzle)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.