Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time homebuyers tax question

tag
weathergirl77
Contributor

First time homebuyers tax question

If I close on my condo this coming March and wait to file my taxes until then, can the entire check be deposited into my checking account because I am not doing an amendment?  Could doing this make the check come faster as opossed to an amendment?

Thank you for all your replies.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time homebuyers tax question

Yes you can claim the credit on your 2009 taxes. It will probably be faster than filing an amendment, but you'll still have to mail in your tax return for 2009 because first time home buyer tax credits can not be e-filed. I'm guessing it would be quicker than filing an amended return as long as you provide all of the documents that are needed per the new first time home buyer tax credit form that is scheduled to come out soon. Just a reminder that amount you qualify is 10% of the home price or $8,000... whatever is smaller, but if you use a program like turbotax they will determine the exact amount of credit you get.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.