cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First year payment lower than subsequent years?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

First year payment lower than subsequent years?

This is our first mortgage (FHA 30-year fixed), which we will close on in October. I've been told that our first year's monthly payment will be lower than subsequent years. But I am unsure how much this will be. We plan to pay the regular amount regardless to get a head start on some equity. But in order to plug in this "extra" amount into the online calculators, I need to know how much it will be.

The components of our monthly payment are:

P&I: $1592

Taxes: $396

Insurance: $104

Mortgage Insurance: $350

We'll have the escrow account set up for taxes/insurance ($3282), as well as paying the first year's hazard insurance up front ($1248). Upfront MIP will be wrapped into loan. So where does that leave us for year 1?

Thanks!

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First year payment lower than subsequent years?

What they are talking about is a possible increase in your payments each year. Every mortgage (at least in my experience) goes through an escrow analysis once a year. By law there has to be a minumum amount kept in escrow.

If there is a shortage (caused by an increase in your taxes or insurance, etc.) then the payments have to be raised to maintain that minimum escrow balance.

I don't think I explained that very well. That's why I comment very little in Mortgage Loans.  Smiley Sad  Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
seemund
Contributor

If the property's value increase, your taxes go up, which equals to ==  your payment goes up.

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@seemund wrote:

If the property's value increase, your taxes go up, which equals to ==  your payment goes up.

Strangely enough, taxes seem to also go up when values decrease..  Smiley Tongue   

So yes, as the others have mentioned, your escrow amounts, and hence your payments, will likely increase each year to account for increased taxes & insurance premiums.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

+1

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 7
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

When I bought my first home they had escrow all wrong and I was short for taxes. The bank covered it and added like 400 more a month for the whole year to cover it.

Message 6 of 7
indecison
Regular Contributor

+1 for what toolman just mentioned. On my first house it was a new build and when they estimated the taxes it was on an unimproved lot. The first year estimate was estimated without a house on it. My second year taxes made my payment go up by over $400 per month. It hurt!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.