Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida Down Payment Assistance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Florida Down Payment Assistance

Anyone have experience with Florida downpayment assistance programs like Florida Assist, HAMI or SHIP? I called the Orange County office to get info on SHIP yesterday, but had to leave a message to be sent info. Would like to get an idea of the process and how long it takes.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Florida Down Payment Assistance

Okay, I found some info and registered for two classes.

Orange County - S.H.I.P. program •Central Florida HANDS (407) 447-5686 option 4

To register go to website: www.handsorlando.org

They waive the fee if you live in Orange County and your driver license has correct address

The paperwork I got says you can get 25k, 17.5k or 5k based on income & # of residents

Osceola County - S.H.I.P. program

you can get the link from the Orange county website, it will pop up when you get there. just follow the link

They don't accept the HANDS certificate, but they have two other programs now.Cost me $6.63 to register for the class.

Class is 1 day a week for 4 weeks and limited availability. I think there is up to $36k assistance depending on program.

Hope that helps.

Message 2 of 5
mocha82
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Anyone have experience with Florida downpayment assistance programs like Florida Assist, HAMI or SHIP? I called the Orange County office to get info on SHIP yesterday, but had to leave a message to be sent info. Would like to get an idea of the process and how long it takes.

I live in FL.  I live in Alachua County now but I went through the SHIP Downpayment assistance class (City of Orlando).  I did this during the peak of the housing market so unfortunately for me I couldn't afford a home when my credit was better (and now I can afford to buy a home but my credit needs help).   The class is very informative.  During the class they go through all the steps of the home buying process and different speakers discuss each step.  Many of them are from companies that offer services (inspections, credit counseling, etc).  They offer a lot of insight into the whole process.  I definitely would suggest that you register early because SHIP offers funding until runs out... and then you will have to wait until the following year.  One of the key things is to make sure that you get a realtor and/or  LO that is familiar with the program (this makes the process SO much easier).  Also you have to chose a lender that can accept AND is a approved lender of the program.   Hope this helps.  If you have any other questions I will do my best to help u out.

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Mocha82 - Thank you so much. I have signed up for both Osceola and Orange County meetings next month. It would be great if funding is available. My lender says they can accept any downpayment assistance who is HUD approved. So I will have to check on that. Did you get the certificate when you went to class or some time later?

Message 4 of 5
mocha82
Regular Contributor

You're welcome.   They gave the certificate at the end of the class.

@Anonymous wrote:

@ Mocha82 - Thank you so much. I have signed up for both Osceola and Orange County meetings next month. It would be great if funding is available. My lender says they can accept any downpayment assistance who is HUD approved. So I will have to check on that. Did you get the certificate when you went to class or some time later?

Closed on my 1st home on: 11/30/2011
First Guaranty Mortgage Corporation (FGMC)
Starting Score:Equifax: 490 (01/14/2011)Transunion: 498 (01/14/2011)
Current Score: Equifax: 609(07/09/2012) Transunion: 644 (10/14/2011) Experian: 593 Lender Pull (08/22/2011)

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.