cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For sale by Owner, do I need an agent to buy?

tag
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: For sale by Owner, do I need an agent to buy?

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

Generally this is known as a "private sale" and it's easy enough using a lawyer based settlement ccompany/service. You will want to hire personally a good inspector who can check out all the major house systems - inclunding roof and foundation and if problems are found you can either walk away, have the seller correct the issue or get a price break to cover the cost of repairs.

I just recently sold a house "private sale" to a willing buyer, mainly for the land, but "as is" - we signed a standard state approved contract and we'll settle in July at a settlement attorney - service that does this full time. If you want to CYA, hire your own attorney, but I will say that I've bought 5 real estate properties, sold 7 properties and never hired my own attorney. On a private sale/purchase I might, or I'd  purchase a "10 year Home Owner's Warranty" which settlement agents are only too happy to sell you. On a private sale, a real estate agent does nothing for you that you either can't do yourself or you can't do through a "flat rate" Real Estate Attorney a lot cheaper.

This is helpful, is there a guide/book on steps I should take as the buyer? I'm a pretty smart, process oriented guy so I'm more worried about cost than complexity

I don't know if there is a "Real Estate for Dummies" in print, but you don't need it. Find a Real Estate attorney - many of them have their own settlement services and talk to them about their costs. Generally it's the seller that will set up settlement (place and agency) and if the seller has no preferance, you can find one that worls for both of you. Most standard real estate settlenments have certian items that the seller pays and certian normal items the buyer pays - other costs have to do with your lender such as PMI, title search,Homeowners insurance paid in advance and prepaid real estate taxes the seller has already paid. Many lenders offer settlement services and since lenders want to cover their interests (mainly because they resell the conforming loan the next day) they'll pretty much protect your interests since your interests are their interests. There are government mandated fees, such as deed recording, processing, etc.

#1: go to a local real estate settlement service and tell them you are looking for a place to settle a home you are buying - they'll be happy to spend 10 minutes with you explaining the process aka selling you on using them, but they'll give you a general idea of buyer/seller estimated settlement costs based on the local market (government fees vary) and the value/price of the house/loan. You can also ytalk to the seller and say "since this is a private sale and you are saving $10,000 in selling commission (generally 6% of the selling price, but it can vary) - it would help me out a lot and help talk my spouse into THIS house if you could cover $2000 in my closing costs" - Most sellers are not going to toss a sale for $2000 and they don't think of the $2k as a discount as much as a selling point aka closing costs. 

#2: Make SURE you hires your OWN inspector and while it'll cost you a bit more get the "detailed" inspection which takers hours - well spent money. Oh, and OPT IN for buyers title insurance (seller has to pay for this, buyer has no coverage unless you ask for it and it costs next to nothing since the seller has already paid the actual premium)

#3: Make the sale contingent on getting your loan - this is standard on a regular contract, a private seller might push back on this, but you can add a sweetner if they push back - offer a $500/$1000 penality if you fail to get your loan within say 45 days (usually 30, but ask for 45). 

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much! 

We are meeting with the seller this weekend, I guess I have a list of things to discuss with her now!

1. Policy on closing costs
  2. Can we make a closing cost deal based on the fact there will be no real estate agent commision (and the fact that there is no fridge in the kitchen

Is it appropriate to start talking this sort of stuff before we even have financing lined up? I don't want to tilt my hand too quickly

Message 12 of 13
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you so much! 

We are meeting with the seller this weekend, I guess I have a list of things to discuss with her now!

1. Policy on closing costs
  2. Can we make a closing cost deal based on the fact there will be no real estate agent commision (and the fact that there is no fridge in the kitchen

Is it appropriate to start talking this sort of stuff before we even have financing lined up? I don't want to tilt my hand too quickly

In general I would suggest that you have a pre-approval in hand before you seriously go home shopping if for no other reason it helps close the deal because the seller knows the sale will go through. Given the scores you list in your signature, you are not going to instantly get a great rate loan, but it's do-able.

Since this is a private sale, meaning the property is not on the MLS and most (all?) buyers don't know about it, there is nothing wrong with having a conversation with the seller and coming to whatever terms you both agree on having to do with everything.One thing I would do is check the local tax records - usually online - and see what the real estate taxes are and what the tax basis is for the property. I would also use zillow and realtor.com to check comps in the area to see how the local realestate market is as far as values, time on the market of sales, etc.

Buying property (home) is kind of like buying a new car, all pretty and emotional, but that wears off soon enough - do your homework. The original question had to do with buying without an agent to save money - one thing agents have at their disposal are comps, taxes, market values, local knowledge. If you are going to do this without the services of an agent, YOU have to do that homework. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.