Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreclosure and HOA Fees

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Foreclosure and HOA Fees

What happens when you go into foreclosure and you have an association?

Does the association come after you or the property itself?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ShanetheMortgageMan
Super Contributor

Re: Foreclosure and HOA Fees

Usually the past due HOA fees accumulate and then the HOA places a lien against the property, which sticks with it regardless of who purchases it.  So once the bank forecloses, it is part of the amount of money that has to be paid off when they resell it.  Or at least that is how it works here in California.

Free Mortgage Advice & Pre-Approvals (FHA, VA, USDA, Fannie, Freddie, Non-Prime, Construction, Renovation/Rehab, Commercial) since 2002
Located in Southern California and lending in all 50 states
Message 2 of 6
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Our HOA is doing both.  Sending you to collections...you don't pay up, they put a lien on the property.

So far, it's been effective in receiving back funds.  (The house foreclosed, the lien was already in place, the lien was satisfied.)

A few of the HOA's around here are changing how they do business to collect late fees.  Talk to yours and ask them.

Message 3 of 6
topa
Regular Contributor

More reasons not to buy on an hoa community. Why go through the headache- for what?

Starting Score: 600 (Jan 2014)
Current MyFICO Scores: EQ: 712 | TU: 706 | EX: 702
Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

topa, this thread is 3 years old. We would love to hear your feelings about HOA's in a new thread if you would like to start a dicussion. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6
topa
Regular Contributor

LOL....

My intentions were definately not to revive a 3 year old thread. Either I'm not using the blog correctly or the blog is having issues. I stopped myself from commenting on old threads that came up as new when I logged in. I stopped myself on a few other posts that were 3 to 5 years old. I missed the date on this one. The funny thing is, the date on the post roll is current. So something is wrong with the blog.

No need to open a new thread, there is no love for HOAs, there is no use for them.

Starting Score: 600 (Jan 2014)
Current MyFICO Scores: EQ: 712 | TU: 706 | EX: 702
Current Bureau Scores: EQ Beacon 5.0: 682 | TU FICO Classic 04: 740 | EX FICO V2: 706
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.