Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Foreclosure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Foreclosure

My son't home was just foreclosed.  My name is on it as I had to sign for him to get the mortgage.  Is there any way I can get my own credit score back? (It WAS 758--NOW 508)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Foreclosure

Unfortunately, that's the risk you take in co-signing. They can also come after you for any deficit after the house is sold.
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ohmygosh that would be a real nightmare!  Can't believe I'm in so much trouble after having such a great credit score over the years.  Seems I should have some options. but I guess not.  Lesson learned--too late!
Message 3 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfortunately, that's the risk you take in co-signing. They can also come after you for any deficit after the house is sold.
while they can.... i am seeing most not go for the deficiency balance. 

Retired Lender
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

After the house goes to foreclosure--how long does it affect my credit?
Message 5 of 13
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

it will fall off in 7yrs.

it hurts less every day until then.

Retired Lender
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info---I'll start counting down now!

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

keep any and all documentation you have/can get to show that you co-signed.  While its gonna affect you as if you purchased the home yourself credit wise, it might help in the future if you ever decide to buy yourself.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have a mortgage and have never been late with my own.  Plus, all MY credit cards have been paid on time, never late.  It's just my son's mess that has me worried.  For now, there is no looking forward to retirement.  Must keep working till this mess is straightened out.  But, I WOULD like to re-establish my own credit.
Message 9 of 13
Lel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I do have a mortgage and have never been late with my own.  Plus, all MY credit cards have been paid on time, never late.  It's just my son's mess that has me worried.  For now, there is no looking forward to retirement.  Must keep working till this mess is straightened out.  But, I WOULD like to re-establish my own credit.

Speaking of credit cards, be really, really, really fastidious about checking your credit limits on your cards.  One unfortunate fallout of foreclosure is that when the CCCs do their routine credit checks and see the foreclosure, they will sometimes cut your credit limit down to the amount owed.  If you use your credit card without realizing this change, you could be hit with massive overlimit fees.  Some CCCs cancel credit cards outright.

Don't cancel any credit cards you currently have, and keep up your practice of always paying on time.  It's unlikely that you're going to be able to get a new credit card anytime soon.  Hopefully you don't have any immediate need to refinance your own mortgage, because it is going to be impossible to get a new loan for a long time (anywhere from 3-7 years, I believe).

Sorry about your unfortunate situation.  Just work hard to preserve what you have. 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.