Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freakin' out!

tag
msensa
Contributor

Freakin' out!

Ok, I'm trying to deep breathe through my anxiety and that's not helping, so here I am.

Some may remember that last month we paid off a significant amount of hubby's debts...from a 15 year old student loan, to delinquent child support, to old collections...all that's left is $1000 worth of meds over 2 years old.

Met with my mortgage broker Monday because we found a house we liked, and she wanted to see it with me.  She took 4 hours out of her day and drove to the country with me and was a great help. 

Now, here's where my nerves come in.  She's a great broker, who helps people fix their credit, much like my own personal ShaneSmiley Wink.  She pulled our credit...some of the stuff I paid hasn't completely updated and we're going to fix it.  He has O score!!  NO score at all.  She ran mine, which I though we weren't going to do since I haven't worked in 9 years and am acquiring student loans.  I have a 587, 590 and a 650!!!  And she says we can probably get my scores up paying off a couple things.

She says she is running my credit too because she is trying to fit us into all types of programs, some of which require the spouse be on the app.  We only have $7000 in savings, and she doesn't want us to use more than $1500 tops to get into the house.  What if I have to pay off a bunch of crap I don't even care about right now?  What if my student loans throw our DTI off?  They're all in deferment, and are actually helping my scores right now, but...

I'm nervous.  I mean, I made a stupid mistake on our checking account 2 months ago and cost us over $300!  What if they tell us no for THAT? 

I need a Valium.  No, make that 2!!

I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
msensa
Contributor

Re: Freakin' out!

Hello?  48 reads and not one ounce of pity?

Not even a "don't worry about it--it will all be OK" empty reassurance?

Just kidding---but wanted to see if anyone had any input.  You guys rock on with your Wednesday.
I'm a tree hugging, peace loving, non-patchouli wearing new kind of hippie chick trying to find a comfortable balance in this consumer-driven world. I just wish I didn't have to care about credit.
Message 2 of 8
BoysMumx2
Frequent Contributor

Someone with more knowledge than I have will probably chime in on this, but I believe (based on what I've read and what I will likely have to do as well) that so long as your student loans have a minimum of 12 months out on deferment, they don't have to include them on DTI. If you are still in school and they are going to be out a ways for repayment, you should be ok.

As for the "don't worry, it'll all work out..." - consider it said. There are some great folks out here, plus it sounds like you've got someone working hard for you on that end. Best of all, you have SOME money saved up - that's huge in my book!

I'll be crossing my fingers and toes for you!!

Starting Score: EQ 622, TU 676, EX 643 (mtg lender pulls) 2/1/12
Current Score: EQ 743, TU 775 (6/18 MyFico), EX 722 (per CITI approval letter 6/29/12 pull)
Goal Score: New goal: 760+ on all 3

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

First off, I find it unusual that a MORTGAGE BROKER went to see a house - she is either bored to death or really hurting for clients or you have really made an impression on her.

She is really going the extra mile for you -- but please, before implementing her advise, check here!!!.  I have seen well-intentioned mortgage brokers tell people to 'close accounts' because of DTI and then have scores crash due to closing them.  It is a balancing act.

As for the loans - if deferred for at least 12 months then probably will not hurt DTI.  But this is so specific to what loan program and when the loans will come out of dererrment that dates would be needed for a truly accurate answer.

Hubby didn't have a 'zero' - he couldn't be scored.  I couldn't either in Nov 2005 (nothing on my reports).  I do have one now though --and it didn't take that long (6 months of reporting to be able to generate a score).

YOU WILL BE FINE!!!
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

msensa wrote:

I'm nervous.  I mean, I made a stupid mistake on our checking account 2 months ago and cost us over $300!  What if they tell us no for THAT? 

Checking account activity is NOT reported on your credit reports so no need to worry about anything that happens there.

If you bounced a bunch of checks (I'm guessing), call the bank and ask them to waive some of the NSF fees.  Explain how you have had the account for X period of time, just made a mistake which caused a domino effect, etc.  Also ask them to not make a negative report to ChexSystems.  This is the FICO equivalent for banking; if you are a bad banking customer you can get blackballed from opening accounts at other banks.

If you didn't bounce checks, then just ignore the above paragraph.  But if you are ever charged fees, always always always make a phone call and ask for them to be waived or refunded.  You usually have to escalate to a supervisor.

I helped a friend do this recently.  First CSR said sorry, absolutely nothing I can do.  I said, thank you, could I speak to a supervisor please?  Whamo, $70 in fees refunded instantly. Smiley Happy

I've gone OT here, so good luck with the house!
Message 5 of 8
msensa
Contributor

Thanks you guys.

Masdeocho, I guess I just don't want them to ask for a bank statement and see those overdraft charges!  And yes, sadly, that is after my bank met me halfway.  Maybe enough time will pass before they ask and the statements will be newer!

And well, now I can't see who said it, but YES, I got really lucky meeting this lady!  Monday was the first time we'd met face to face.  She has been coaching and guiding me on the credit repair issues, and her advice always jives with what's on this site.  This broker is an angel.  She brought up questions about an easement and future development I'd never have thought of.  She went along because she said she just feels overprotective about some of her clients.  She is in a group that is presenting a bill regarding credit reports and liens, and making legislature that forces the collecting agency to report the lien paid and satisfied on the consumer's credit reports.  Now the process, at least in my state, requires a lot of red tape and court time in order for someone to get a paid lien noted as such.  I googled her and found out all kinds of great things she's involved in for our community, too!

Thanks for the good wishes...I'll keep you posted! 

Message 6 of 8
msensa
Contributor

Lady Scarlett--thanks for looking out for me.  Yeah, it's really a shocker when someone goes the extra mile for you!  I must have really struck a chord with this lady, plus she saw some outrageous things the CA's had done to our credit report which really ticked her off last year.

Yes, believe it from this cynic--sometimes you get lucky and dial a number that connects you to someone that actually cares!  I have put her advice up against the best moderators on the board, and it's all the same.  I feel so lucky!

Now, my phone calls should start coming today with some news...wish me luck!
Message 7 of 8
sunrise
Frequent Contributor

msensa...they usually only ask for your 2 most recent bank statements.   So, maybe you can squeeze out a few more weeks before they ask for them....that way the NSF's won't be on them!!Our banker didn't even want ours, he said he calls to verify the balances.  Each lender is different, so you can ask exactly what they want.

Good Luck!!  Keep us posted!!Smiley Wink

Message Edited by sunrise on 03-06-2008 06:10 AM
takin' it one day at a time
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.