Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freaking out! Paid balances to 0 and score dropped

tag
rngrwalker
Valued Member

Freaking out! Paid balances to 0 and score dropped

I made a rookie mistake and I'm regretting it. I was keeping my utilization in one card between 5-9% and had my other 2 cards reporting 0 balance. My score was either just raising 1-3 points or staying the same. This month I paid all my cards to 0 and my score dropped 20 points on Experian (from 688 to 668)  and 9 points on Equifax (from 705 to 696), still waiting on TransUnion to report. I have no idea how this affected my mortgage scores because my 3B doesn't refresh until June 1st but they were already 674, 674 and 668 with Experian being the lowest. I'm getting ready to apply for a mortgage in June so I have one more update before I apply and the June update before we close, assuming we close in July. I don't really have any other debt besides my car lease and the credit cards that I am using to generate credit. Do you think there's still hope? I'm so upset right now, I should've known better.  I'm doing FHA loan but I'm trying to have my scores around 680. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Freaking out! Paid balances to 0 and score dropped

Just let the 1 card report a small balance like $10 next month and your scores should go back up given that this was the reason for the decrease and nothing else caused it.
Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

i agree with above.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
rngrwalker
Valued Member

Will do! Thank you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.