Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFA - Closing Cost Breakdown

tag
apeydee416
Contributor

GFA - Closing Cost Breakdown

Question, as I am looking over my GFE I am noting some costs that appear to be on the high side. Can my lender charge me more than they actually had accrued for the cost of services?

Example: My appraisal fee is $475 - but the invoice on the appraisers report notes $450 (not a huge difference, but you know).

Also, $75 for a credit report seems pretty high too.

Insight?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
mynameainttracy
Established Contributor

Re: GFA - Closing Cost Breakdown

Our appraisal charge says $415. It hasn't been done yet and I have no idea what the real cost is. The credit report charge is $23.

$75 is very high.

Message 2 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Read this explanation by Shanethemortgageman on the GFE first, then specifically call your LO and ask why they are charging X for those services? Mention specifics like you have here and tell us what he says.  To me it sounds like he is padding where he can in case he under estimates a charge and he doesn't want to be penalized, JMO.

Is this a broker you are using?

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Mortgage-Loans/Understanding-the-New-2010-Good-Faith-Estimate/m-p/73...

Message 3 of 5
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

S10 is correct.  My LO explained to me that she padded my GFE just in case some things to ensure that our cover any underestimates in other areas.  Your HUD-1 will have actual/real closing costs.  They will probably be lower, and we will get the difference back at closing.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 4 of 5
Hopeforchange
New Contributor

Just ask. Our GFE was so inflated it was almost double.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.