Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFE vs Settlement amount/HUD-1

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GFE vs Settlement amount/HUD-1

I posted earlier about wanting to roll our prepaids into our loan (and now understand completely why I can't do that -- thank you, Dallas!). Well, lucky-you-guys, I have another, equally dumb question!

The *reason* I was hoping to lower the amount we paid at the table was because I am now freaking out about whether or not the closing costs + down payment will break us at the table. We have thrown durn nigh every penny we have in our account (with no more forthcoming until the 23rd -- payday) at the down payment. Stupid, I know. Believe me, I know.

After our DP & remaining closing costs, we'll have roughly $2K left in our accounts. Sounds like quite a bit, but if you factor in a dramatic increase in closing costs, it ain't nothin.

So, long-story-still-long, just how much higher CAN the actual settlement be vs the GFE? Assuming that Hazard insurance and taxes stay the same?

Are those numbers the only ones that really can change? Or can they change the origination fees and such at the last minute?

Thank you so much -- especially Dallas, who's been FAR more patient than anyone could EVER expect ... especially ME!! Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

Re: GFE vs Settlement amount/HUD-1

ask for a gfe.

if they dont provide one, tell them that they will indeed provide one NOW or provide one after you complain to the state's licensing authority and HUD.

yes, cw HATES to send out gfes 

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

settlement should be within $100 or so... unless you were closing on the 30th and closing got pushed to the 1st, in which case the lender would take a full month's interest in advance.

Retired Lender
Message 2 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the only surprise at closing should be a good surprise.

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Dallas!

I did just notice that on the document they sent us, it said it is NOT a GFE or Truth in Lending Statement. Does that matter?

They're calling it a "Closing Cost Worksheet." Should we have received a GFE by now? Back when we renegotiated our rate, I asked for an updated GFE, and never received anything (though I did get an email saying that the closing costs would remain the same and confirming the lower rate and that it was locked-in). Does that matter?

Should I be pooping myself?? I'm starting to be REALLY afraid that we're getting you-know-what'ed. Smiley Sad

But I realize it could very well just be that I don't understand and since it involves so much money and such a commitment, that I'm just being paranoid and a weenie. :/
Message 4 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

ask for a gfe.

if they dont provide one, tell them that they will indeed provide one NOW or provide one after you complain to the state's licensing authority and HUD.

Retired Lender
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

ask for a gfe.

Thank you, Dallas!!

I feel more than stupid saying this, 'cause you already freaking know it:

YOU ROCK!!!! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

dangit... gonna have to resize my hat now because of you.....

your welcome

Retired Lender
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DallasLoanGuy wrote:

dangit... gonna have to resize my hat now because of you.....

your welcome

Awww ... poor baby! Mayhap you just ought to stop being so awesome!!! Smiley Wink
(Yeah ... that'll happen! NOT!)

Hey. Anytime you need compliments and luv, you just come right HERE!! We love you!! Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.