Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GMAC "Equity Accelerator Program"

tag
nicemann
Established Contributor

GMAC "Equity Accelerator Program"

Ok I have a GMAC Mortgage (FHA 6%). Only have had it since May.  They have a program called "Equity Accelerator Program".  In theory it sounds great. 

Personalized estimate of Equity Accelerator® benefits for you:
Save $39,015 in interest.        
Pay off your mortgage 6 years and 1 month earlier - 73 fewer mortgage payments.        
Simplify your budget with withdrawals that match your paydays, rather than the mortgage due date.        
Simplify your life with automatic mortgage payments.        
Enjoy peace of mind, knowing your payments are made on time, every time.

The catch "The one-time enrollment fee is $295 (collected from your first extra principal payment) and the monthly participation fees are $5.42 (a portion is collected with each electronic withdrawal). That's a small amount compared to your projected interest savings of $39,015.08. There is no fee for payment changes or cancellation. You can even transfer the program to another loan free of charge! Your savings in the amount of $39,015.08 is after providing for fees."

Just was wondering if it is worth the fees.  The thing is I already pay a month in advance.  For example yesterday I just made the payment for November.  I like to stay ahead one month for cushion and to make sure I never go late.  Still trying to rebuild my credit.  I don't have a lot of money in savings that I have to pay with.  Won't say I am living paycheck to paycheck but if I miss a month of work, I would be in trouble.

I would go with the Bi-Weekly program since I get paid every other week.  Advice?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
n2win
Regular Contributor

Re: GMAC "Equity Accelerator Program"

I have a new GMAC refi from May, and I saw that also.
I send an extra $200 toward principal every payment, my 30 year mortgage will be paid off in 15 years this way, saving that interest, ect.
My point, is that you can do this yourself, no need to pay anything extra to them.
hth

nicemann wrote:
Ok I have a GMAC Mortgage (FHA 6%). Only have had it since May.  They have a program called "Equity Accelerator Program".  In theory it sounds great. 

Personalized estimate of Equity Accelerator® benefits for you:
Save $39,015 in interest.        
Pay off your mortgage 6 years and 1 month earlier - 73 fewer mortgage payments.        
Simplify your budget with withdrawals that match your paydays, rather than the mortgage due date.        
Simplify your life with automatic mortgage payments.        
Enjoy peace of mind, knowing your payments are made on time, every time.

The catch "The one-time enrollment fee is $295 (collected from your first extra principal payment) and the monthly participation fees are $5.42 (a portion is collected with each electronic withdrawal). That's a small amount compared to your projected interest savings of $39,015.08. There is no fee for payment changes or cancellation. You can even transfer the program to another loan free of charge! Your savings in the amount of $39,015.08 is after providing for fees."

Just was wondering if it is worth the fees.  The thing is I already pay a month in advance.  For example yesterday I just made the payment for November.  I like to stay ahead one month for cushion and to make sure I never go late.  Still trying to rebuild my credit.  I don't have a lot of money in savings that I have to pay with.  Won't say I am living paycheck to paycheck but if I miss a month of work, I would be in trouble.

I would go with the Bi-Weekly program since I get paid every other week.  Advice?

Goal: acquire and use Credit Cards, scores in the 700's in 2009
05/04/08 FICOS: EQ = 626; TU = 636: EX = 623
06/21/09 FICOS: EQ = 692; TU = 729; EX = 731 (CCT FAKO)
10/03/11 FICO EQ = 722 (CCT EQ = 749)
Message 2 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the net results are that you make 26 half payments = 13 full payments. divide the pmt by 12 and send in that extra each month. or make one extra pmt with tax returns. either way, you get the same result. a low setup fee wouldnt be so bad. but that monthly fee is insulting.
Retired Lender
Message 3 of 5
nicemann
Established Contributor

Thank you both....guess I will just figure out the difference in making the extra payment a year and split that principal up between each month and overpay that.

I agree paying a fee to pay them extra doesn't make much sense.
Message 4 of 5
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

@nicemann wrote:
Thank you both....guess I will just figure out the difference in making the extra payment a year and split that principal up between each month and overpay that.

I agree paying a fee to pay them extra doesn't make much sense.

actually... it makes sense for some. because they dont have the discipline to pay more.
Retired Lender
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.