Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General FHA Application Questions

tag
learningcredit101
Established Member

General FHA Application Questions

Hey guys sorry if theres a thread similar to this but i have a couple of questions regarding what loan officers look for when you apply for a mortgage loan. First, how many years in a particular job is enough for them to consider that you have steady employment? Second, Does income overshadow a credit score? For example lets say i have 750's across the board but my income in around 30k a year. My last question which is kinda misc. is do instalment loans like student loans that were paid off satisfactorly stay on your report forever? Thanks in advanced guys.

Ex: 745
Macys: 2.5k
Wells fargo:2.6k
Amex Hilton Hhonors Surpass: 2k
Amex PRG: NPSL
Citi AA: 3.4k
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: General FHA Application Questions

I can answer one of the questions for you:  The income and current debt are extremely important because it will determine what you are capable of paying for the new home. The LO will determine how much mortgage you can afford based on the ratio of debt to income.

There are two important ratios:  front end and back end. The front end ratio is the cost of the new mortgage monthly:  principal, interest, real estate taxes, homeowners insurance, mortgage insurance, HOA or condo fees if applicable. For FHA the absolute max allowed is 45.99% of your gross income and many lenders have an overlay that won't go that high.  All FHA loans have mortgage insurance, up front mortgage insurance and monthly.

The back end ratio includes the new mortgage above + all your cc and installment loans. The absolute max for that ratio for FHA is 56.99% and again lender overlays may reduce the absolute max.

If your back end ratio is too high, than the front end payment is reduced until you qualify. Sometimes there just isn't enough income to qualify for any mortgage, especially in high cost areas of the country.

Message 2 of 5
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@learningcredit101 wrote:

Hey guys sorry if theres a thread similar to this but i have a couple of questions regarding what loan officers look for when you apply for a mortgage loan. First, how many years in a particular job is enough for them to consider that you have steady employment? Second, Does income overshadow a credit score? For example lets say i have 750's across the board but my income in around 30k a year. My last question which is kinda misc. is do instalment loans like student loans that were paid off satisfactorly stay on your report forever? Thanks in advanced guys.

...paid off loans will stay on your report for ~7.5 years unless you can get them removed earlier with GW letters ...if there were no negatives reported on the loans, they are normally a positive and should be left alone ...if there were negs, the older they are the less effect they have.

...if you live in a rural or light suburban area, USDA makes zero down loans for single family homes ...a 30k income or less will get a direct loan in most areas and they are easier to qualify for and generally have better rates ...you just have to meet location/max income/etc standards ...check out their site for maps and info.

...income is a separate consideration from credit scores ...you have to meet the credit score criteria first ...then income will determine the max size of the mortgage you can qualify for ...and then the income/debt ratios fine tune that number

...one other consideration is that at 30k income level there are many state/local government programs to help with down payment/repairs/etc ...hth

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 3 of 5
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree wholeheartedly with Lemmus except for one thing: credit score is just one factor.

Without enough income to support the loan you aren't getting a mortgage. Even the down payment assistance programs require enough income to support the loan. I have seen too many people turned down for loans with excellent credit but not enough income to support the loan they are seeking (mainly due to tax write off's). Credit you can fix in the short term. Income too, but it's a little bit more complex to fix. IME

Message 4 of 5
Lemmus
Established Contributor

@StartingOver10 wrote:

(mainly due to tax write off's). ...it's a little bit more complex to fix. IME

...how I love the Infernal Revenue Service, let me count the ways ...1) uuhhh Heart

Helpful Links: Do I Qualify? | Mortgage Calculator | USDA Mortgages | Opt Out | FICO Versions
Last HP: 11/04/15 | myFico 3B Jun 10 '15:FICO8 EQ - 752 | TU - 763 | EX - 750
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.