Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Georgia's Own Credit Union

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Georgia's Own Credit Union

Hello Community,

Is anyone familiar with Georgia's Own Credit Union mortgage department?  If so, what do you think about them?  

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
icetrap06
Regular Contributor

Re: Georgia's Own Credit Union

I was actually curious about the same thing.  I'm a member but never really used them for any type of loan.

@frugalQ wrote:

Hello Community,

Is anyone familiar with Georgia's Own Credit Union mortgage department?  If so, what do you think about them?  

NFCU cashRewards (22k) | Discover IT (8k) | AMEX EveryDay (5k) | AMEX Delta Gold (5k) | CSP (5k) | Marriott Rewards Premier (5k) | Citi Hilton Reserve(5k) | AMEX SPG (2k)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scores: EQ - 670 | TU- 742 | EX - 691
Message 2 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Do you like them for your other banking services?

I beleive I'm going to go with them. We are finally within the 90-day mark for closing on our house. They have a 80/15/5 mortgage product which is much better than my builder's lender.  The loan officer told me to apply at the end of December (waiting on 1 credit card to update on CRs Christmas week).  I will post about my experience with them.

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 3 of 8
madmann26
Valued Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

Do you like them for your other banking services?

I beleive I'm going to go with them. We are finally within the 90-day mark for closing on our house. They have a 80/15/5 mortgage product which is much better than my builder's lender.  The loan officer told me to apply at the end of December (waiting on 1 credit card to update on CRs Christmas week).  I will post about my experience with them.

Any update on this? We're getting close to that time to buy as well and we're searching for a decent lender.

Thanks,

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 4 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

I haven't completed my application yet.  I'm waiting until the end of this month.  I will say that the loan officer has been very helpful.  She's answered all of my questions....and I have a bunch of them.  Smiley Happy  I was able to provide her with my tri-merge scores from the builder's lender, and she was able to give me a little more detail about what to expect.  

I will keep the thread updated on my experience with them.

Message 5 of 8
Maddog_
Contributor

OP - What ever happened ?  Did you actually close a mortgage loan with Georgia's Own ? 

Personally, I had a sour experience with them two years ago.  The LO reviewed stacks of documentation I sent him, and assured me that we would be good to go and then based on my unique situation, the UW denied me after weeks of interaction and stacks and stacks of documentation.

It was an absolute waste of time and I would *never* repeat that mistake again.

I went to Quicken and close the mortgage in 35 days, albeit at a higher interest rate.  At least I got the mortgage and the house.  

I would go to a real mortgage company that closes loans and is up-front, knowledgeable and proven to be able to close mortgages.

My personal opinion is the Credit Unions are not where you want to go for a mortgage unless you have a *squeaky clean* file.

Message 6 of 8
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

HI,

I did not use Georgia's Own...I used Georgia United instead.

Message 7 of 8
Maddog_
Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

HI,

I did not use Georgia's Own...I used Georgia United instead.

Oh, ok.  Any particular reason you went with Georgia United instead of Georgia's Own ?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.