JaneDo3526

Getting Approved for a Jumbo Loan

Hello All,

I am new to the mortgage process and have been doing some research but still have a few questions.  My husband and I want to build a new house, and are now looking into getting a mortgage.  We have a specific development in mind and the house we want starts at 443K and the lots we like have premiums about 25-45K.  By the time we do a few upgrades I imagine we will be at about 550K total.  From what I can tell mortgages this large are pretty hard to qualify for.  We both have decent credit (725+) and together make about 200K gross. Our only debt is a car payment for 700/mo and student loans for 1400/mo.  What kind of down payment do we need to come up with? I would love to get the ball rolling on construction as soon as possible since I hate our rental, so if we don't have to come up with 20% down that would be ideal as long as we don't end up with a ridiculously high interest rate.  We are starting from scratch, since we were throwing everything extra to paying off our credit cards.  Also, I have not been employed for the past two years, I just finished school in May so I'm not sure if that will be a problem.

Thanks in Advance!

Valued Contributor
boomhower

Re: Getting Approved for a Jumbo Loan

Don't have a lot of help but jumbos are certainly more difficult and require a higher rate. I'd check with the builder as a starting point.  With the price of the homes they are building they should certainly have a few recommendations for lenders that do jumbo's that they have worked with.  Certainly be cautious with using them as they often don;t have the best rates but will still be a place to start.  As long as your job is related to your degree it won't be an issue.  Depending on lender 30-60 days of pay stubs is all that is required.  Good luck.

Valued Member
Tingnting

Pretty hard to do a jumbo without 20% down. You are better off just putting 15% down and going conventional conforming. Make sure that you can even finance the upgrades. When we looked we had a 25% max financing on upgrades, the rest had to be cash. Until you get to 530k or so it makes more sense to stay out of a Jumbo and put more down.

Starting Score: 606 EQ 2/11
Current Score: 738 EQ - 4/13, 702 TU - 3/13, 729 EX - 3/13 (Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: 700 Club

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
JM-AM

Areas have different value loan amounts. It could be possible that in your area 550K is not considered a Jumbo Loan.
Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
MortgageHelper

Are you looking for a construction loan or end loan? If end loan can you put 15% down? If construction loan 15% down would require an exception here. Feel free to contact me via my profile.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+