Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting New Construction Deposit Back

tag
MrChairman
Established Contributor

Getting New Construction Deposit Back

My wife and I put a deposit down on a new construction home in Fort Worth. I am active military stationed in MD. I found out that I will be getting involunarily medical discharge. Will we be able to get our depsoit back? I MAY still be in the military when the home is complete but we won't be moving to Fort Worth anymorew They will start framing next week. I assume since I won't be able to qualify for a loan they'd give it back but I've heard horror stories. Any information is appreciated.

Starting Score:TransUnion: 698 (12 FEB 2010), Equifax: 674 (12 FEB 2010)
Current Score (Lender Pulled):TransUnion: 684 (12 SEP 2016), Equifax: 696 (12 SEP 2016), Experian: 679 (12 SEP 2016)
Goal Score:All scores All scores at least 700+ by December 2017!!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting New Construction Deposit Back

What do your contracts say? When we went into contract we signed a document that said if we could not secure financing we would get out deposit back. However, this was for an "inventory" home that just wasn't finished yet. I'm pretty sure if you can't secure financing you will get your deposit back.
Message 2 of 4
DallasLoanGuy
Super Contributor

the contract should spell out the terms.
go ahead and get denial letter from lender

Retired Lender
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check the financing contingency portion of your contract. That should spell out what happens to an earnest money deposits if you can't secure financing. You should speak with your real estate agent. Despite not wanting to buy the home, they are legally required to work on your behalf while representing you.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.